Baltimore Key Bridge Collapse

Casualties and Recovery
Baltimore Key Bridge Collapse

On March 26, 2024, the historic Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore, Maryland collapsed when a cargo ship crashed into it. The “Dali” cargo ship, 985 feet in length and almost as tall as the Eiffel Tower, according to Oregon Live was carrying nearly 4,700 containers when it crashed into the bridge. The vessel lost power early that Tuesday morning before the crash, and it struck one of the support poles of the bridge at roughly 15 mph, causing the bridge to collapse immediately. Moments before the crash, a mayday call was issued to enable authorities to limit traffic from going on the bridge, according to PBS. There are crew members on the cargo ship who are stuck on the vessel, still continuing their daily work. Recently, there was an NPR interview with Reverend Joshua Messick, the executive director of the Baltimore International Seafarers’ Center. Reverend Messick is very concerned for their mental well-being because “they did not have Wi-Fi onboard” and “they really need to be able to connect to family and friends at home.” Messick is also “anxious about the conspiracy theories and all of the things that are being said about them unfairly out there.” According to Messick, they now have Wi-Fi.

HISTORY OF THE BRIDGE

This bridge was named after Francis Scott Key, an American lawyer, notably famous for writing the “Star Spangled Banner”. The bridge was completed and opened in 1977, spanning 1.6 miles. The bridge allows visitors to cross the Patapsco River and reach the famous city. The bridge also served as a historical monument of World War I. The Francis Scott Key Bridge is believed to be less than 100 yards from where Francis was captured by the British in the War of 1812. There he witnessed the siege of the fort in September 1814 and wrote a poem that became our famous National Anthem.

LIVES LOST

Unfortunately, this bridge collapse has left multiple families grieving lost loved ones. According to The Washington Post, there were six men who were construction workers from Latin America, who were fixing potholes on the bridge when it collapsed. All six workers died from the collapse, and two of the bodies have been recovered so far; the other four are presumed dead. The search for the other four bodies was recently suspended for now because of the obstacles of the bridge debris. One of the victims is unidentified, but the other five deceased workers are Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval, Miguel Luna, Jose Mynor Lopez, Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera.

HOW WILL WE RECOVER?

It’s hard to imagine the first steps to be taken with an incident like this. It will definitely be a long journey to recovery. The Biden Administration approved $60 million in federal aid. President Joe Biden has promised that the federal government would pay 100% of the cost for repairing and rebuilding this beloved, historical bridge. According to AP News, The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is using a crane on the Eastern Seaboard to remove the ship wreckage from the bridge. This channel below the bridge is essential for vessel travel. The United States Coast Guard opened a temporary channel to ships so they can still travel, according to NBC Washington. By doing this, marine transportation can still enter Baltimore.

At this stage of the collapse, the vessel traffic route for shipping packages has been changed to an alternate, even shorter route, so packages may be delivered sooner. According to USA TODAY, this collapse can have a significant impact on the economy. Goods being shipped are going through West Coast ports and other alternate routes for cargo ships. Analysts predict a small impact on the movement of goods down the East Coast.