Ceasefire and Breaking News

Updates on Israel-Palestine
Vivian Nguyen
Student reads article on Israel-Palestine

The death toll in Palestine from October 7, 2023, to February 29, 2024, now exceeds more than 30,000 people. On this day, an estimated 112 people died from a death stampede in Rafah City, located in Palestine’s southern Gaza Strip. Rafah is now one of the most densely populated areas on earth, as more than 1.4 million Palestinians seeking refuge evacuated to Rafah. The city has become one of the very few cities not yet invaded by the IDF, short for Israel Defense Forces. More than 80% of the state’s population has been displaced, and talks of a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas seem futile.

On February 29, over 100 people in Rafah died during distribution of humanitarian aid. The death stampede occurred when thousands of Palestinians rushed to humanitarian aid trucks carrying food. Israeli troops were ordered to fire at them when approached and also fired warning shots. Dr. Ashraf Al-Qudra, a spokesperson for the Hamas-run Health Ministry, reports more than 100 people died as a result. Israeli officials claim that most of the deaths were caused by the stampede, and others were run over by the trucks rather than being shot at by Israeli troops. This situation brings attention to the dire need for humanitarian aid in Gaza, and the overall unfortunate reality of entrapment of the refugees.

Article Sources:
“Palestinians say Israeli troops fired at people seeking food. Israel says scene was deadly stampede” Published by APNews on February 29, 2024
“In deadly Gaza aid delivery, Palestinian officials blame Israeli gunfire, Israeli officials blame stampede”
Published by Washington Post on February 29, 2024

Video Sources:
“Biden warns Israel against Rafah assault without protecting civilians”
Published by BBC News on February 16, 2024
“Disputed versions of deadly stampede and shooting in northern Gaza as war death toll exceeds 30,000”
Published by NBC News on February 29, 2024

Self-Immolation as Protest

Self Immolation is an extreme act of protest, in which the protestor sets themselves on fire. On Sunday, February 25, Aaron Bushnell, a member of the U.S. military, lit himself on fire in Washington D.C. to protest the genocide of Palestinians.

Aaron Bushnell’s Last Words

“I am an active duty member of the US Air Force, and I will no longer be complicit in genocide. I’m about to engage in an extreme act of protest, but compared to what people have been experiencing in Palestine at the hands of their colonizers, it’s not extreme at all. This is what our ruling class has decided will be normal.”

— Aaron Bushnell

After lighting himself on fire in front of Washington’s Israeli Embassy, he passed away from injuries the following day. Bushnell was stationed at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas, and was only 25 years old. He posted a Twitch link on his Facebook page and live-streamed his self-immolation.

Many of us like to ask ourselves, “What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?” The answer is, you’re doing it. Right now.

— Aaron Bushnell's Livestream Caption

While lit on fire, he yelled, “Free Palestine.” Similarly, a video posted on November 8 of a Congolese man self-immolating went viral on Twitter. The man stood before a crowd in Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He doused himself in gasoline while holding a sign that said, “Stop the genocide in Congo.”

There will be no Ceasefire
The Muslim holy month known as Ramadan is being used as pressure against Hamas to release its hostages. According to a member of Israel’s war cabinet, retired army General Benny Gantz, Israeli troops are to initiate an assault in March against Rafah if their deal is not followed through. With Ramadan in 11 days, Hamas has to release its hostages for a temporary ceasefire Israel has claimed to endorse. Biden said he hoped for a ceasefire by next Monday, but rescinded his statement to “probably not” after the death stampede in Rafah. He urged Netanyahu to create a credible plan before enacting any plans of ground invasion, and prioritizing the evacuation and humanitarian aid of Rafah refugees.
For more information, keep updated with newspapers and live broadcasting on any platform, like Al Jazeera and others.