Couple Rumors, TikTok Fund: Which is Fake News?

Students Decide

Fake news is misleading or false information, which can spread false rumors to people. Students tend to read something on social media platforms such as TikTok, Snapchat, or Instagram and immediately repost it. PawPrint asked Morgan students to evaluate two sections of two articles: Viral Videos Spread Unfounded Claims About Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade’s Relationship by Izz Scott LaMagdeleine.  This was a fake post.  The claim is not true.  TikTok is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund by Moises Mendez, is real news. Students worked with a partner or by themselves to decide which of the two articles were fake.

TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund

Videos that spread the claims had millions of views across TikTok and YouTube.
Laura Orn: thought, “TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” is fake news because she doesn’t believe ever hearing about the TikTok creators fund, shutting down. (Avery Vece )
Meadow Papacoda and Paige Monty: working together they find the article, “TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” was fake news believing that the creator fund is not shutting down.
Tessa Gebauer: considers, “Viral Videos Spread Unfounded Claims” to be fake news because she believes it’s informal and opinion based. (Avery Vece )

Jacquelyn Ciarleglio: thought, “TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” is fake news. She thinks that TikTok creators are still being paid. (Avery Vece )
Hendrick Bausch: thought, “Viral Videos Spread Unfounded Claims” is fake news because he thinks its not a credible source or a source he has ever used. (Avery Vece )
Josephine Simon: thought, “TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” is fake news since she doesn’t believe TikTok was ever shutting down it’s creator fund.
Sara Stack: thought “Viral Videos Spread Unfounded Claims” was real news because it used words such as, “the claim” and “Los Angeles Times”
Katie Nyguen: thought ,”TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” is real news because it’s more realistic than the other article. (Avery Vece )
Alyssa Ruthstrom: thought, “TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” is real news based off the reliable source and how proffesional the text looks.
Ainsley Lyon: thought, “Viral Videos Spread Unfounded Claims” is real news because of the companies that the article referred to, such as “Los Angeles Times.” She believes this is a reliable source and “Los Angeles Time” is real.
Whittney Treubig and Amber Maikowski believe the article, “TikTok Is Shutting Down Its $2 Billion Creator Fund” is real news because of the accuracy in numbers (Avery Vece )

Today, fake news can be spread on any social media platform. Cites that can assure whether the rumors are real or not are platforms such as, Snopes or Fact Check. Use them to check before you repost.