Phone Usage At Morgan

Are Phones Distracting Students?
Photo of class on their phones
Camryn Mazzarella
Photo of class on their phones

Students using their phones in class is a problem in every school, not just here at Morgan. To minimize the usage of phones, teachers have their own policies for their classroom. English teacher Julie Frydenborg shared that phones are very distracting to students and teachers. She doesn’t take students’ phones unless it is completely necessary. She believes in mutual respect and lets the students keep their phones off and away.

Phone usage during school has always been a problem, but recently the need for phones has skyrocketed. Some teachers believe this is a cultural issue, and students are too dependent on their phones. Phone addiction causes falsely diagnosed ADD or ADHD. While there are many students who have either of these, part of the reason students can’t focus or have a short attention span is due to their phones.
Some teachers shared their unique and fun method of handling phones. Science teacher Kelly Gilbert trusts the students until the trust is broken. When someone uses their phone and abuses the mutual trust, she places the phone in a paper bag and staples it shut which allows them to keep their phones without using it. Senior English teacher Eric Carroll rewards students with bonus points if they put their phones in the pocket, which is an incentive to not use phones during class.

Photo of phones in phone pocket (Camryn Mazzarella)

Students will argue they need their phones like they need food or water. Sophomore Lyla Striby shares “When teachers take our phones from us, it is just more inconvenient.” She feels it would be easier to keep them off and away. Senior Mia DiGiandomenico feels that phones are not as much of a distraction while in class because she is either busy or has no service. Sophomore Kevyn Calazans believes that teachers shouldn’t care if kids are on their phones because it’s their fault if they fail. Although Kevyn makes a fair point, teachers said phones don’t only distract students but also them while they are teaching.

Communication skills have been declining since COVID-19 because people use their phones for communication purposes instead of talking face to face. Math teacher Elizabeth Criscuolo said she sees not only students but also teachers on their phones constantly instead of having a conversation. Respect is also a major issue with the rising use of technology and phones during class. Both Mrs. Criscuolo and Mr. Carroll have strong opinions on phones. They have strict no phone policies in class because if people are on their phone it is disrespectful towards the teacher. Students can not possibly be listening if they are on their phones.

English teacher Amanda Auger brings up a good point about safety or privacy lines being crossed when kids take snaps or post pictures in class.Everyone should feel safe and respected, but if students are taking pictures of their peers or teachers, it breaks some rules of privacy and can cause big problems. If people don’t want their picture taken, posting their photos is disrespectful.

Students should respect and obey these rules to maintain a safe and enjoyable environment for everyone. Phones distract teachers just as much as they distract students, but if we all work a little harder to break that constant need to use our phones, we can communicate better and avoid distractions.