Students Find Classes Helpful

Culinary, Personal Finance, Spanish

Morgan provides a variety of electives for students. Some classes have a set of requirements that students must meet to sign up, though these requirements usually involve passing a lower-level version of the elective, or a B+ or above in a related class. Despite the ease-of-access, not all students are guaranteed a spot in their chosen electives.

Because of the number of students attending Morgan, some have been missing out on courses that interest them. However, students are given few ways to solve this problem. While signing up for classes, students are able to select their preferred electives along with a secondary set of electives that function as ‘backup’ for when initial plans fall through.

Guidance counselors are also able to help students change their classes, if possible. Schedule changes are only available for students during the first two weeks of class, as stated by Guidance Counselor Michael Capozza “The first two weeks of school are overwhelming for some students,” shared Capozza, He recommended that students try to give their electives a chance before swapping them with another elective. In many cases changing electives isn’t possible, as the class a student is enrolling in could already be filled. He also shared that “It’s important to experience the classes you don’t like,” as students might still learn something.

Michael Capozza (Kaleb Hazen)

Regardless of the opportunities given to students to ensure they receive their preferred classes, the importance of a student’s choice in electives is still very much present. Students have to fully consider what they’ll need for their plans for the future. This raises the question as to what students may consider important to learn to prepare them for their future beyond Morgan.

Senior student Tyler Schroder shared that the two most valuable classes he’s taken have been Personal Finance and Culinary Arts. He stated that Personal Finance “Gave me a general plan of whatever I’m going to do whenever I turn eighteen.” Tyler feels that this course will help him in getting a credit card and opening certain savings accounts.

Ryan Richetelli & his class (Kaleb Hazen)

Tyler also added that “Culinary Arts I took Freshman or Sophomore year, so I can’t remember specifically, but I remember it being fun.” He said, “I baked the food from that class for myself and my family.” He believes these classes are important, as students could always use more knowledge on cooking and monetary information in the future.

While electives offer a more diverse array of topics to study, the core classes Morgan provides also work well to help students outside the classroom. Freshman Hayden Darr said Spanish III Honors was an essential course. He said Spanish “has helped me speak with some of my Spanish-speaking teammates on the soccer team.” He recommends that other students should take the class as well.

Junior Alyssa Ruthstrom benefits from attending English classes with Eric Bergman. He’s taught life lessons that have helped: “Live my life without worrying.” She believes Bergman is a good teacher who will benefit other students . Because every teacher educates their students differently, it varies how much students learn from their classes.

As students move through each year of Morgan, they should give careful consideration to which electives they choose. Every elective is valuable on its own, but it all comes down to what the students of Morgan value. Visit Morgan’s Program of Studies for more information.

This poll has ended.

What class has helped you the most?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.