Spirit Squad Schedules Homecoming Week 2023

Mrs. Davis Guides Spirit Squad

On September 28, during the weekly advisory, students enjoyed the Yearbook Rally. At the Yearbook Rally, our 2023 Homecoming theme was announced to the student body in a video made by Senior Riley Schmidt.

Riley recruited other students from our Spirit Club to create this video to showcase the themes for spirit week. The video includes pictures from past Homecomings, a quick explanation of the dates, and finally, students giving examples of what to do for each of the themes.

Both the Spirit Week and Homecoming themes were created by the Spirit Club run by English teacher Eric Carroll, and Math teacher Stephanie Davis. Spirit Club meets every Tuesday morning at 7:15 in Mrs. Davis’ room. Anyone who would like to join is welcome. Just stop by Mrs. Davis’ or Mr. Carroll’s room to learn more.

Spirit Week: November 6th-12th

Spirit Day themes:

Monday, November 6th – Jersey Day
Tuesday, November 7th – Denim Day
Wednesday, November 8th – Barbie vs Oppenheimer
Thursday, November 9th – Grade Color Wars
Friday, November 10th- USA Day
Spirit Squad Class Leaders

Colors for Thursday, 11/9  Color Wars:

Freshmen – Pink
Sophomores – Red
Juniors – Purple
Seniors – Baby Blue

This year, our Spirit Week is switched compared to past years. Instead of holding the pep rally on Friday, it is on Thursday because the Veterans Day Assembly is on Friday. That’s why USA day is Friday and color wars is Thursday. Throughout the week, students will vote for Spirit Day winners. On Thursday, November 9th, students will vote for Homecoming Court.

At the pep rally, Spirit Squad members will announce winners of the week-long spirit competitions, raffle prize winners, and our Homecoming Court. A new added aspect this year at our pep rally is a Powder Puff teaser, and a Pie the Teacher fundraiser for charity. Voting for winners will occur throughout the week leading up to the pep rally.

2022 Homecoming Court Winners (Aleia Aleman)

All students received Homecoming Court nomination forms on Tuesday the 17th,  from Mrs. Davis via email. Anyone interested in running for court, filled out this Google Form by October 20. Voting will take place on Thursday, November 9th, during Spirit Week.

The Homecoming football game is at Peters Complex, under the lights against North Branford at 6:30. The student section theme, per request of Mrs. Davis is a NEON OUT, so be there and be bright. This football game also happens to be senior night for both our football players and cheerleaders, so the Dog Pound should be packed to the brim. Mrs. Davis wants “this week to feel different from any other homecomings students experienced in the past.” Mrs. Davis is giving our Homecoming/senior night football game a carnival feel. There will be games, raffles, and overall a different vibe compared to past years.

Homecoming this year is on Saturday, November 11th from 6:30-7:30 and the theme is…
Disco Met Gala.

Mrs. Davis explained the Met Gala theme: “Usually people think black and white, but when you think disco, it’s

Mrs. Davis
(Gabi Navarra)

sparkly.” Black, white, sparkle, gold, and silver are going to be the main colors surrounding the decorations for Homecoming. Mrs. Davis described it as “Classy but sparkly.” There’s also going to be a red carpet to create the Disco Met Gala feel.

Just like in past years, Homecoming will take place in the gym, meaning that no heels are allowed. It’s recommended to either bring or wear a different pair of shoes or socks instead of being barefoot in the gym. One difference this year is that a professional DJ was hired for the music. Anyone can make song requests for the DJ, up until October 27th, through this Google Form. The DJ will not be able to take any song requests after October 27th. There will also only be beverages served during the dance and possibly light snacks.

Advanced tickets for Homecoming will be sold for $10.00 during lunch. Otherwise, tickets at the door the day of will be $15.00.

Finally, ending our Homecoming filled week, is our annual Powder Puff Game on Sunday, November 12th, at 2:00

Powder Puff is run by Mrs. Davis and Library Media Specialist Shannon Robinson. Powder Puff at Morgan is Friday night football, except the roles are switched. Students signed up in the beginning of September. Each student who wanted to participate in the Powder Puff game signed and completed a form, and submitted $15.00 to hold their spot and to get a customized shirt for the event. This is for the coaches, players, and cheerleaders. Teams of girls are coached by some of our school’s football players, mainly the captains, while the boys are our cheerleaders. The girls will play a thrilling yet safe game of flag football. The boys will train with Mrs. Davis to lead the Dog Pound and cheer for the girls.

The two teams going head-to-head to determine our 2023 Powder Puff Champion are Team Vegas Gold and Team Terracotta. Team Vegas Gold is coached by senior and football captain Jack Nye, junior Luke McComiskey, and freshman Robert Wininger. Team Terracotta is coached by senior and football captain Tyler Baldwin and juniors Tyler Farrell and Griffin Ranaudo. All six coaches are a part of the Morgan Football team. Both teams consist of about 21 girls each, ranging from freshmen to seniors.

Powder Puff Players and Cheerleaders:

Team Vegas Gold: Arielis Gonzalez, Hope Savage, Molly O’Donnell, Addy Beck, Emma Holecz, Brooke Lawlor, Bianca Nascimento, Abbie Graham, Jackie Ciarleglio, Gabi Navarra, Lili Luciani, Rachel Spaziano, Kayla Mullane, Alessa Strunjo, Riley Kuever,
Sara Stack, Glenda Zhiminaicela, Ari Salgar, Emely Andino, Sam Way,
Kaylyn DaRoss

Team Terracotta: Aaliyah Langner, Libby Burns, Emma Teuner, Emerson Dunning, Taylor Breen, Ithai Zalaya-Contreras, Demi Rehberg, Nora Winsor, Katrina Harris, Addy Reed, Lili Novicki, Destiny Rehberg, Miriam Hussaini, Maeve Madura, Maddie Sacta-Guartazaca, Sophia Caprio, Julia White, Ashley Reemsnyder, Sara Morrisey, Ainsley Corgan, Riley Schmidt

Cheerleaders: Roman Carradero-Hastings, Jon Allen, Alex Vece, Patrick O’Donnell, Anthony Strunjo, Aden Gadun, Pedro Reis, Josh Nobitz, Chayton Kattermann, Henry Tessman, Mekai Howard, Hayden Darr, Jude Watson, Ryder Watson, Cole Donnelly, Hendrick Bausch, Rowan Quinn, Christian Jacobs-Harris, Will Saunders, Kevin Calazans, Sean Green, Luke Powell, Dillon Moore, Brandon Avila-Hernandez

2022 Powder Puff Teams

Powder Puff:

Last year was the first year our Powder Puff teams were not blondes vs brunettes. On the old sign-up forms, there was a section to choose whether you were for the blondes or for the brunettes. In previous years, Mrs. Davis mentioned how “people who had blonde hair with blonde highlights were trying to be blondes and then the other way around, and it would always end in either an argument or the teams would be unfair.” So instead, it was changed to two different colors, green vs. pink, and the teams were randomly selected.

For spectators, there is an admission fee of $5.00 and the game is at 2:00 at Peter’s Complex. Come watch four quarters of flag football with a full dance routine halftime show presented by Mrs. Davis and the boy cheerleaders.

As mentioned before, Mrs. Davis wants this week to be like no other compared to past years, and participation from everyone is crucial for it to be the best it can be.