Morgan’s Opinions On The School Parking Lot

Thoughts On Student Drivers, The Parking Lot, And Rules

Marin Stopkoski and Katie Martin

At Morgan, most upperclassmen drive to and from school. There has been recent controversy on our student drivers. Whether it’s about the skill level of our drivers, the parking lot itself, or the parking passes, many students and staff members have strong opinions on the matter. The video attached shows students and staff express their own opinions about the parking lot. 

In order to get a license in the state of Connecticut, 16 year olds are required to get a permit. After holding the permit for a specific amount of time and fulfilling certain training requirements, future drivers take the road test. Students either wait six months to take a road test or go to driving school, where they must attend a minimum of thirty hours of classroom instruction and eight hours of behind-the-wheel practice driving with a Connecticut-licensed commercial or secondary driving school. This reduces the waiting time of taking the road test to only 4 months.  

Every year when students are welcomed back, they are required to fill out a parking permit form signed by a parent or guardian and a nonrefundable fee of $10 must be paid. Students are then given a hang tag that they are required to hang on their car. If a car does not contain a valid parking permit, or is parked in no parking areas, fire lines, or visitor spaces, they will face disciplinary consequences. Principal Kerri Hagness explained that the money goes to the Student Assistance Program. This program provides students with help with payments, including AP exams, some college application fees, or even a homecoming ticket. The money supports our students both inside and outside the school. 

Mrs. Hagness shared that since the beginning of her time here at Morgan, she has witnessed and handled several parking lot incidents. Whether a student has crashed or voiced their concerns about the parking lot, she has heard it all. Despite the opinions of other students and faculty, she believes that it’s about the learning process. Teenagers who are just recently driving are bound to make mistakes. Over the years, Mrs. Hagness has tried her best to find a solution. Assigned parking spots were implemented at the old Morgan. However, they found that this created more havoc, starting fights between students. The ultimate solution, which is still being explored, is to allow students to park where they want and how they want. While there will still occasionally be accidents and opinions on student drivers, it is important to know we are all a part of this learning process.