Thank You Hearts

Written by Maddie Davenport|

With the major number of deaths across the country and the depression of the quarantine dragging on, people are looking for ways to give back and put some light into the darkness of Covid-19. From doctors and nurses to mailmen and grocery store clerks, these essential workers are fighting for our country against the virus.

All across the country, there have been hearts taped in windows, nailed to trees, and stuck into the ground. The purpose of these grateful hearts is to thank the first responders and other essential workers who are risking their lives to help save Covid-19 victims and help others stay healthy and safe while still receiving the necessities.

Many of Morgan’s students think that these hearts are a great way to thank the first responders for their hard work that they have done to keep everyone safe from Covid-19. Senior Jenna Scanlon says “they’re so cute and I’m glad that people are doing it to show their appreciation”. Through tough times like these we need to thank the ones that wake up everyday going to work in dangerous environments.

Many other cities and states have these Thank You hearts scattered around, but also have other ways of applauding the essential workers. According to The New York Post there are so many ways to thank these workers. Some include, helping equip the healthcare workers with essential masks and gloves that are currently at shortage. Others, in big cities, are clapping at 7pm to applaud the workers.

Many nurses and doctors are working long and laborious hours and can’t go home to their families and have food. Many restaurants are giving meals to nurses and doctors as a way of showing gratitude and to give a little joy back to them. There is a new organization called Off Their Plate. This organization provides meals and relief to the frontline workers. Off Their Plate has raised up to 3 Million dollars to provide the goods. This is an incredible organization that has given meals to 302,570 workers.

It’s so important to have these first responders and essential workers in our thoughts. They are working very hard and Thank You Hearts are a great way to remind them that they are. Everyone send out a big red heart to all of the essential workers. On behalf of the Morgan Pawprint we thank you for all you have done.