An Opportunity for Future Journalists

An Opportunity for Future Journalists
Former Morgan student, Jessie Warren, at last summer's High School Journalism Workshop

Written by Maria Putnam |

Are you interested in becoming a better writer or future journalist? Ever wonder what it’s like to write for a newspaper or magazine? Well,  now you have a chance to get a full-out experience from an outstanding high-school workshop! The Connecticut Health Investigative Team (C-HIT) hosts this camp at Quinnipiac University Campus in Hamden from July 9-13 and at UCONN Campus at Storrs July 16- 20, with the help of the journalism departments at both colleges. Twenty five lucky students will be chosen to learn the tools of investigative journalism, participate in workshops led by award-winning journalists, work on stories for publication, and spending a day visiting local newsrooms. Emma, a twelfth grader at Coventry High School who attended the camp shares, “I enjoyed the camp and feel that it was very beneficial.  I learned a few new skills about writing…I feel like our teachers shared great experiences with us which will help shape our future decisions.’’ To learn more about the camp and how you can sign up to get a chance to get such a great, rewarding experience, visit their website! It’s not every day that you get a chance to perfect your writing and learn journalistic ethics from professionals who work with stories every day. As a high-school student considering a career in journalism, I see this camp as a great chance to extend my talent in writing. Money should not be an issue either; the camp is $800, but they do offer financial aid and scholarships. Nobody should pass up an opportunity like this!