Pulitzer Prize-Winning Journalist Spills The Tea

Written by Sophia Muce |

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Lynne DeLucia paid The Morgan School’s journalism class a visit on Monday, April 23rd.  In 2010, she co-founded the Connecticut Health Investigative Team, a non-profit site where journalists inform the public about health, safety, and medical issues. Today she is the editor of the site. Before working for C-HIT, she worked at the New Haven Register and the Hartford Courant as a supervisor covering local news.

Ms. DeLucia visited The Morgan School to offer advice to the students. She gave the class a different look into the world of journalism. Bob Tedeschi, a former New York Times journalist, visited the class earlier in the year. While he helped the students better understand the responsibilities of a reporter, DeLucia gave the perspective of an editor. When asked what the hardest part of her job is, she answered “telling a reporter that their story doesn’t work.” While it’s a well-known fact that journalism is a competitive industry, DeLucia still doesn’t want to offend anyone.

She also spoke about the positive aspects of her job. “The advancements in technology have changed the industry entirely,” DeLucia admits. She now has the ability to work from home because her reporters are located all over the country. This also allows her to have a lot of flexibility with her time and makes her job significantly more convenient. Delucia also enjoys working with reporters on stories because “people read it, people learn from it.” She feels that it’s her responsibility to inform the public.

In class, the journalism students have been learning about fake news in the media. DeLucia shed light on the issue by telling the class that “the lines get a little blurred” when it comes to the validity of the information being put out. She claimed that “more than fifty percent of people eighteen and older had read five or six fake posts during the election of 2016.” She advised the students that when they post an article, they make sure that it’s one hundred percent accurate.

All aspiring journalists (ages sixteen and older) should register for C-HIT’s Summer Investigative Reporting Workshop. The week-long seminars will occur at UCONN and Quinnipiac University this summer. This year’s workshop at Quinnipiac will be focused on live broadcast. The application deadline is May 18th, so act now.