Morgan Registers to Vote

Written by James Saturno|
Photos by James Saturno|

During the week leading up to break, the Clinton registrars of voters held voter registration in the cafeteria in hopes of encouraging political involvement among the town’s eligible youth.

Senior Anes Gadun

The registrars were apprehensive at first, citing disappointing numbers in the past. Peter Gianotti, who has been one of Clinton’s registrars since January of 2017, said, “In previous years, the turnout has been pretty low as far as signing up at school and we were kind of discouraged, but we’re really encouraged by the numbers we’ve had over the last couple days.”

Additionally, Mr. Gianotti pointed out what he thought were reasons for the marked increase in registrations: “a lot of it has to do with teenagers being more politically aware these days,” and that “[students] want to have a say in their government and who’s elected.”

Over twenty students, including those turning eighteen before election day, registered to vote between April 9th and 11th, which was a drastic rise from the three who signed up last year.

Senior Brett Martin

Students were generally enthusiastic about registering, and each cited slightly different reasons for taking on a larger role in our democracy. “It’s like that cliche quote “be the change you wish to see in the world”. If we want to see the world change, we have to be active and speak our minds so that these changes are made. Voting is just one way to make our voices heard,” said Senior Andie Carse. 

Senior Georgia Nye

Others had been intending to register but hadn’t yet had the opportunity. When asked why he registered at school, Senior Brett Martin remarked that he had “planned to do so eventually,” but having the registrars come to him was “convenient.” Alternatively, some students registered for specific political reasons, Senior Georgia Nye registered “so the school and town budget doesn’t fail again.”

Overall, voter registration was a resounding success in the eyes of the registrars. “We’re very optimistic,” said Mr. Gianotti as he and fellow registrar Mrs. June Hansen packed up their forms. 

If you wanted to vote and missed the recent registration event, you can register online here, Anyone who will turn eighteen on or before election day (Tuesday, November 6th, 2018) is eligible.