Three Morgan Seniors Honored with SHED Writing Awards

Written by Lindsay Harden |

Every year the Shoreline Heads of English Departments hosts a writing contest. There are multiple categories including literary analysis, humor, personal essay, one act play, short story, and poetry.  On Wednesday, May 24th at Valley Regional High School, the Shoreline English teachers held a ceremony to honor the winners of this year’s contest.

During this ceremony, students from Valley read excerpts from the winning pieces. Following their performance, the winners were announced. Each student received a certificate, a gift card, and two copies of a book that contains all of the winning pieces.

This year Morgan had the privilege of submitting three winning essays. Senior Marcus McDermott won first place in the category of the 11-12th grade Literary Analysis for his Death of a Salesman essay: Existential Heroism “I Know Who I Am” Senior Emily Sobieraj won third place in the Humor category for a piece about summers with her “dysfunctional” family entitled  I Try to Forget, But I Can’t  Lastly, Senior Emily Burr won second place in the category of Humor for her lighthearted piece about extreme couponing entitled: Extreme Couponers Demons In Their Human Form

Congratulations to The Morgan School authors.