The Kids Still Win in the End

Written by Kitty Shortt and Autumn Johnson |
Photos by Natalie Buchetto |

On Friday, March 24th Morgan students and the town of Clinton participated in a fundraiser for the Kids of American Heroes Foundation, raising money through a “students versus teachers” basketball game. Students and teachers volunteered to play in the game and were cheered on by many Clinton residents and families with students in the school system.

The event was a success and raised a total of $2,500 for KOAH, a charity that gives money to families of members of the American Armed Forces for plane fare to visit loved ones and other various needs. Husky Leaders, a group of Morgan students who are given leadership roles in the school community, organized the event. Husky Leader and senior Lindsay Harden said, “I was really happy with how Swoosh turned out this year. Seeing the new gym filled up was such a great feeling. I think everyone had a great time, and the money went to a great cause! It was a great last Swoosh for me!”

There were many teachers who volunteered but did not play. Biology teacher and department chair Christopher Luther announced for the game and Social Studies teacher Chris Zawadski kept score on the scoreboards.

The game itself was a success as well – for the teachers. The team of teachers from Clinton Public Schools beat the Morgan Students team 39-38. Spanish teacher Laura Luther said that “the event was awesome and very well attended, for a great organization. I think that the MC killed it.”

Additionally, Pierson Elementary school students performed their second annual “Bounce to the Beat” halftime performance in which they bounced basketballs and danced to music led by Gym Teacher Ryan Jalbert and Music Teacher Gina Nedderman. The high school students enjoyed seeing the elementary students especially because they do not often get to see what the younger students of the town have to offer. Sophomore Chelsea Piccirillo who attended the game said, “the kids are very cute and talented and I admire their confidence for being able to perform at the game and the dedication they gave to the performance.”

The event was not only a success for raising money for KOAH but also good for the classes who were selling refreshments in the Lower Hub. For example, the sophomore class officers sold popcorn to raise class funds and made a profit of over $75. Swoosh for Change is a wonderful school and town-wide event and is one of the many aspects of what makes our school community great.