Friday Prom

Friday+Prom

Written by Abbey Norton |

Advisory is a time every week in which the administration can chat with each individual class or the school as a whole. On March 7th, 2017, Principal Keri Hagness talked with the seniors during their advisory about the Thursday Prom controversy and the possible options.

Originally, the Senior prom was going to be on Thursday, May 18th. The day after, Seniors would be attending school at 9:00 am to eat a breakfast made by Project Grad before heading off to various sites for Husky Helper Day. Most Seniors were upset with the decision because they felt as if they would not be at their best the next day while volunteering. When Library Media Specialist Shannon Robinson and Mrs. Hagness realized how many students were upset, they worked hard to find a solution.

“Initially, I met with Mrs. Robinson to have her talk about what are the possible alternatives,” Mrs. Hagness said.

Mrs. Hagness and Mrs. Robinson created a slideshow to explain the new options. Having a prom on Friday would change the date to May 12th, a week before the old prom date. The seniors will have the same beautiful venue at Water’s Edge, with patio time and open windows. “Water’s Edge told us that they’d prefer us to have it on the twelfth because there is a big event going on the week that it was initially scheduled,” Mrs. Hagness said. “It kind of worked out for both of us, which made it nice as a decision.”

Seniors and underclassmen attending the prom may leave after E period at 12:24 pm but are required to have a note. They will also be at school for the day. Not attending school revokes your ability to go to prom.

Although most athletic events were rescheduled, the track team will still have a meet on Saturday, May 13th, at 7:30 am.

Husky Helper Day is still happening! On Friday, May 19th, Seniors will arrive at 9:00 am and have a breakfast served by Project Grad. The buses will leave at 9:30 am to the various volunteer sites.

As well as the prom date being changed, the venue for our senior outing has changed. Originally, our outing was going to be at the Sportsplex. Seniors will now head down to Six Flags for a day of rides, games, and class bonding. No athletic events will be going on the day of the outing so Seniors will be able to stay the full amount of time.

At the end of Mrs. Hagness’ presentation, the Seniors clapped and cheered over the new decision. They feel as if this is a better option for the prom, senior outing, and Husky Helper Day. We can all thank Mrs. Hagness and Mrs. Robinson for this new decision!