12th Annual Gingerbread House Contest

Written by Maddy Greenhouse and Katie Schrempp|

The annual gingerbread house contest is taking place again this year at Morgan. img_8086Many students are participating in this event. Students are welcome to stay after school and work with Consumer Science teacher Joanne Nunan on their gingerbread house. If you are interested in this event, pick up a packet from the bulletin board outside Mrs. Nunan’s room A06.

We interviewed a Morgan student that was participating this year. Senior Alexis Alfano is working on her gingerbread house in school and sometimes brings it home to work on it there. She tells us that it has taken a long time to create. “We make the dough from scratch, and I’m pretty far along  cause  I stay and work on it outside of class.” She entered the contest because for the first year Mrs. Nunan made gingerbread houses a unit in her foods class.

The rules for the contest:

1. No boxed kits permitted, and all structural components must consist of gingerbread (not graham crackers, cookies, etc.)
  2. All components must be of edible material (excluding the base). for example, foil or plastic-wrapped candies must be unwrapped; lollipops with paper or plastic stems may not be used.
  3. The finished product must be no larger than 15X15 including the base.
  4. All entries must be delivered in completed form on a plywood base enabling it to be freestanding and movable. the base must be considered by some form of decorative material.
  5. All entries must be summited no later than Tuesday, December 20, 7:30 am to the morgan learning commons.
  6. A 4×6 folded index card must accompany the finished product with the following information on one side:
  • Name
  • Phone number
  • Grade
  • Theme ( optional)

7. Judging will occur December 21 and 22nd.  Entries will be judged on originality, overall appearance, creativity, soundness of construction, and overall culinary skills.

8. All entries must be picked up by 11 am on December 23. Any entries not picked up by that time will be donated to the local assisted living facility.

Last year’s first place winner was Sophie Roman; the second place winner was Jayde Forbes and the third place winners were Rebecca Turner and Caleigh Heske.