Morgan Gets Connnected

By Ktrinko (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons

Written by Judy Chicoine|

The Morgan PawPrint is going global, but not in the way you would think.  The PawPrint staff has created blogs about ourselves, our school, and our journalism class. We are interested in collecting information on other places and how they conduct their online newspapers, and what their schools are like. We are also looking forward to getting to know the students. The Morgan PawPrint has connected with students from Indonesia, California, Australia, Pennsylvania, and Ecuador!

In Indonesia, we have connected with Ms. Shida’s English class of 38 students at the XiShan Primary School. The class is composed of 9-10 year olds. We created a private blog to inform the students about our tactics for running the PawPrint. We were also interested in learning about the students, their culture, and Indonesia as a whole.  In Walnut, California, Ms. Chen’s English classes are creating blog posts similar to ours in which they convey their thoughts about school and their lives.  A fifth and sixth grade class in Melbourne, Australia are interested in connecting with classes world-wide with their blog called, My Day at School.

The Hempfield High School in Landisville, Pennsylvania, has its own online newspaper similar to the Morgan PawPrint.  Their online newspaper is called The Flash, and the students submit articles on their sports teams, upcoming events, and more! On November 15, our Journalism class will be Skyping with the students in Pennsylvania about their blog. The Interamerican Academy in Guayaquil, Ecuador, also has a blog called The Bite, which talks about their school sports teams, and has information on their new students.

We are excited to experience these different cultures in a different way. I will have a follow-up article on our Skype with the Hempfield High students, and I will post updates on our global connections! If you have any questions, please contact us at: [email protected]!