Fall Sports-Predictions 2016

Written by Melanie Coretti and Erin LeViness |
Interviews by Erin LeViness and Abby Pitarra |
Photos by Erin LeViness and Abby Pitarra |

Fall sports teams are getting ready for the competitive fall season. Teams are hoping to have a successful season and dominate on the field.

Juan AvilaCaptain of the Boys Soccer Team starting striker, Junior Juan Avila said, “ Seeing the scrimmages we have played so far, we are going to do well. We tied Hand and beat Montville; two really hard teams. Hand will probably take class L and Montville will go far in class M.” Avila also said ,“We should be taking the Shoreline, but it will not be easy. Old Lyme is the team we lost to in the Shoreline Finals last year, and they just lost basically their whole starting lineup.” 

Taylor MarnettGirls volleyball starter back row, Junior Taylor Marnett said, “Right now, we are not at the point we have to be at, but if we continue to communicate the work on our physical skills, which we have, we definitely have a chance at winning a title. We have so much potential, but we will have to work really hard.” Marnett also shared with us the differences from last year to this year, “We lost major components last year, like our main outside hitters and setter. We are definitely ready to start a new season, but we need to get accustomed to our new players and positions and work together as a team.” Marnett believes that “If we get into the winning mindset, we can pull through. We have to play the entire game like it’s game point.” 

Alexis AlfanoGirls Swimming Team Captain, Senior Alexis Alfano shared with us how she believes the team is going to perform this year, “I think we’re going to do very well. We gained 4 new members. We need to work more on endurance and with our strokes. I think we’ll grow as a team and earn throughout the season because we have new members. I think our team is small so it’s essentially difficult to win, as we’re paired with HK because we don’t have enough people.” Alfano says, “We have 4 returning members, and we lost two people last year. I think as the years go on we will grow.”

Abby PitarraField Hockey defensive starter, Junior Abby Pitarra said, “I think that this year will be our rebuilding year considering since we lost 6 of our seniors and most of them being on defense.” Pitarra shared with us some of the starting lineup, “Our starting line up is not just upperclassmen, it is all around. We have 2 freshmen starting varsity, Jillian Crowley, and Delany Mastriano. They really stepped it up and are a great help. On defense we have a girl from each grade. Our forward line is all juniors.” Pitarra said that her goal for the end of the season is, “go to Shorelines and win and try and go to States.”

Isaac EriksenBoys Football running back starter and strong safety, Junior Isaac Eriksen said, “I think we have been doing pretty good. It was a little hard in the beginning because we have a lot of new kids. The new kids are athletic so picked it up really quickly. We won 1 out of 2 scrimmages and won our game against CREC Academy.” Eriksen told us some of the starting lineup: “The whole line is seniors. Wide receivers are mixed with seniors and sophomores. I start as running back as a junior. We have one freshman, Miles Vogl, who is varsity and goes in some for running back. Matt Newfield is starting corner and Madden is starting quarterback.” 

kate and courtGirls Soccer players varsity goalie Senior Kate Driscoll and varsity starter striker Junior Courtney Viglione say that this year is going to be “a rebuilding year because we lost so many seniors, and there are a lot of new faces. We have a lot of potential and need to keep our heads high and play to our best ability.” Driscoll shares how she thinks the season has gone so far “we started out with a lot of tough teams, we had to get our team together quickly. We did a lot better than I had expected.”

Viglione explains “if we have our goal in mind, we can be in the Shoreline Finals with Old Lyme, because they are the team to beat, and we have a very good chance. 

Come to one of the games to support The Morgan Huskies: CIAC Athletic Schedule.