Read and Weep: Exit, Pursued by a Bear

Written by Abbey Norton|

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. JohnstonPhoto on 4-6-16 at 7.14 PM #2

Realistic Fiction

Hermione (yes, just like Harry Potter; she knows) is co-captain of the Golden Bears cheerleading squad, with her best friend Polly. Every summer, they go to Camp Manitouwabing, a cheerleading camp for different towns to join together and work on their strengths. This year is going to be the best year because now she is a determined leader, working hard to help her cabin get early meals and the best camp experience possible, just like what she’s been given every year. But things change. Things change quickly, and the change is handed to her by a boy she doesn’t remember in a drink she can’t forget. She was found in the lake, the lake she enjoyed swimming in for three years before, at the camp where she’s spent the best week of her summers . She was found, and she was bleeding, and now she isn’t Hermione anymore. She is Hermione, that raped girl, and she doesn’t know if it’s better to remember or to forget.

**** 1/2    Rate: four and a half out of five stars

Likes: I love the character Hermione. She is strong, even through tough times, and she is very easy to relate to. Everything she says and does is true and pure, and she will never do anything that will not benefit someone. She is supportive of the people who support her, She tries to be as selfless as possible—even after being raped. She is inspiring.

Dislikes: Hermione seems so positive that sometimes, it is hard to believe. There’s nothing wrong with a happy ending, but some parts seem very fake.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read, and I am probably going to read this book again in the future. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, especially girls who love to cheerlead because it is not just about rape, it is about teamwork and loving what you do.