A New Schedule for The New Morgan School

Written by Willow Pender and Quinn Pender |

When we begin the 2016-2017 school year in the new Morgan School, there will also be a new schedule. There will be no more 6 day rotating schedule with five 53 minute periods a day and one 80 minute period.

The new schedule is called a “modified block schedule”. Monday, Thursday and Friday all seven periods will meet for 49 minutes each.  On Tuesday and Wednesday, three periods meet for 89 minutes.  E period will be 54 minutes and include the lunch period each day. On Tuesdays and Wednesdays, there is an additional thirty five minute period. On Tuesday’s this will be an advisory period. On Wednesday this will be X block.  

There is some rotation of the periods, but every day of the week will be the same schedule because there is no longer a six day rotation. Supporters of the new schedule claim it will create a better “family bond” within classrooms between students and teachers. 

Schedule

Principal Keri Hagness said the new schedule is beneficial to teachers and students because “the old schedule prohibited students to go to other programs like arts schools or ECA. Also, if seniors only need certain classes to graduate, they can take those classes in the morning and get a job in the afternoon. This also makes it easier to share teachers between schools and allows us to offer more electives.”  The new schedule gives teachers and students more time together to do different activities in the classroom such as long term projects, labs and debates.

What do you think of the new schedule?  The Morgan PawPrint wants to know. Please comment below or send an email to [email protected].

View Comments (1)

• J

Jaimey CretellaFeb 29, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I think it’s cool. Granted, it is different tHan what we’ve had in the past, but I feel it’s a good different. Thumbs up from me!

Reply