Advice From Guilford High School on Moving to a New School

Interview by Meghan Schulze |
    Images provided by Lorri Hahn and Tai Soo Kim |

As you may know, Guilford moved into a new school this year. After this experience, Guilford High School Principal Mr.Misenti gave Morgan some advice on how to transition to a new school building!

What can students do to have a successful transition into the new building?  Students should visit the school as much as possible,  prior to the first day in the new building.  It was also important for me to involve our community.  I conducted weeks of evening tours for all stakeholders in our community, especially our elementary and middle school parents.

What’s the biggest change?  The design of the building is our biggest change from the ‘old’ school.  Classrooms are larger, technology more advanced, and we are climate controlled throughout!  The architects took great care in designing a building that facilitated and nurtured teaching and learning.  An atrium of glass runs along the entire north/south roof of our school, and this allows for natural sunlight to stream through all three levels of the high school.  One of the most often heard comments from our students, teachers, and visitors is “ This is so much like a college campus!”

Is there anything you miss about the old school?  I led many graduates and retired teacher tours through our ‘old’ school. Many of our graduates and former teachers had fond memories associated with the ‘old’ building and their return one last time was helpful in our community’s overall transition into the new building.

Was there anything you did or wish you did to remember the old school?  We took many photos.  Additionally, I allowed many of our graduates to return in the evening and on weekends to tour the ‘old’ school one last time.

How was the transition? Seamless.  Our Building Committee hired a move manager who coordinated the entire move from our ‘old’ building to our new high school.

Were the students able to tour the building before school started? Yes.  I held four evenings of grade level orientations/tours for our students and their families.  Prior to these four evenings, I invited our student government and athletic captains on evening tours so that they could  begin sharing/networking with our student body.  I also held tours for students who simply emailed me and requested a tour.

Do you recommend Morgan students go for a tour? Absolutely! I hope that you all have the opportunity to tour your new high school prior to your first day in the new building.

Below are images of the new Guilford High School, to view more images go to the Guilford High School website