Jess Accetta and Shelby Mehmet Receive President’s Volunteer Service Award

Written by Cameron LeClaire |

Seniors Jess Accetta and Shelby Mehmet have been honored for their exemplary volunteer service with a President’s Volunteer Service Award. The award, which recognizes Americans of all ages who have volunteered significant amounts of their time to serve their communities and their country, was granted by the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program on behalf of President Barack Obama. The Morgan School nominated Jess and Shelby for national honors this fall in recognition of their volunteer service.

IMG_7069Both Jess and Shelby have contributed to many activities including Partners in Community (PIC), React, Family Olympics, Special Olympics, and an many more. Jess included her favorite quote by Doctor Seuss in her application, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot; it’s never going to get better. It’s not.” Shelby remarked ” I want to make a difference in this world.  I want someone to say that because of you, I didn’t give up.” When these two received their award, Principal Keri Hagness was overjoyed! “For these two individuals this is one of the best ways to recognize their hard work and determination in making a difference – both of these individuals consistently go above and beyond to help others – bottom line is “they Rock!” I am so proud of both of them!” explains Ms.Hagness.

The Prudential Spirit of Community Award, sponsored by Prudential Financial in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP), recognizes middle level and high school students across America for outstanding volunteer service.

In addition to granting President’s Volunteer Service Awards on behalf of President Barack Obama, The Prudential Spirit of Community Award selected State Honorees, Distinguished Finalists and Certificate of Excellence recipients. Volunteer activities were judged on criteria including personal initiative, creativity, effort, impact, and personal growth.

The Morgan School is extremely proud of Jess and Shelby for winning this special award. They have dedicated their lives to making a difference in the world one step at a time.