Congratulations to Lucas and Alaina

Written by Jensen Garcia |

Lucas Cummings and Alaina HarnettEvery year, both sophomore and juniors take the PSATs at the beginning of the school year. Though this is only a practice test, Juniors at The Morgan School also participate in the National Merit Scholarship Program, which is “an academic competition for recognition and scholarships that began in 1955.” Depending on your scores in critical reading, writing, and mathematics on the test, you can be recognized by the National Merit Scholarship Program.

In September 2014, The Morgan School learned that Seniors Lucas Cummings and Alaina Harnett qualified as Commended Scholars. Commended National Merit Scholars are in the top five percent of more than 1.5 million students who took the 2013 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT). Lucas said, “It is nice to have for colleges.” Lucas and Alaina both didn’t do any of the prep, but they had a good understanding of the test since they had taken it the previous year.

Lucas advises, “Don’t stress”, since it is only a “practice assessment.” Alaina states, “Get a good amount of sleep; eat a good breakfast, and just take the test.”