The Alliance is Strong

Written by Sam Pansa and Amanda LaRiviere |

GSA, for those who don’t know, stands for Gay Straight Alliance, one of our many clubs at The Morgan School. GSA and Juliana Ragonese, who runs the club, have been trying for a while now to get the students at The Morgan School to be more aware of the lgbt+ community.

On Tuesday, during advisory, there will be an assembly to talk about the importance of Ally Week and why The Morgan School should adopt it to make our school community more close.

We talked to Juliana Ragonese,Juliana POL 2014 and she gave us information on what Ally Week really is, “Ally Week was created in 2005 to celebrate allies of the lgbt+ community. An ally is someone who accepts and supports the community. Ally week is used to get people in schools to pledge to become allies. So, students and staff pledge to not use homophobic slurs and language, and they pledge to safely intervene in bullying, if possible. The Morgan School is broadening this idea to challenge students and staff to support everyone and become allies.”

So how can you basically participate in and help be an ally? “To be an ally you can start by respecting and accepting everyone no matter what. An ally can intervene in bullying and harassment, if safely possible.” Juliana tells us.

Being an ally is not hard to do. Just try to support your peers for who they are and that they can’t change themselves.

If you are interested in joining GSA you can talk to Juliana about joining and when meetings are.

• M

mikaelagaudetOct 23, 2014 at 7:44 am

I think sharing this information to students here at Morgan is a great way to show others that being kind to someone can go a long way. Accepting others can help them to feel comfortable around anyone and this article and the assembly proves that. I think our school is good at treating others fairly no matter who they are.

• J

jordanledyardOct 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I love what the Morgan School is doing with this, it shows how accepting we are as a whole school and and this article was a great way to encourage people to become part of the alliance

• J

jensengarciaOct 17, 2014 at 10:43 am

I like your article. It is a great thing that people are moving toward equality. It is nice that they have a club for this. It is too bad not a lot of people participated in Rainbow Day. You could do a continuation of this to say how Ally Week went, like how many signatures they got on the banner.

• M

mmcdermott2014Oct 16, 2014 at 9:00 am

I think its nice that overall equality is most valued at our school. This article is a good example of how kind and caring students at our school actually are.

• T

tashawalker0424Oct 16, 2014 at 8:45 am

Great job using the article to both inform students about GSA and encourage people who may be interested in joining! It seems like an awesome club to be involved with.

• M

madisonheidkampOct 14, 2014 at 10:29 am

I think it is very sweet what these students are doing here with the GSA alliance, they truly are trying to make everyone feel comfortable with being themselves and also being here at The Morgan School. Everyone should feel comfortable in their surroundings and with who they are.