Successful Sports: Morgan’s Victorious Year

Written By: Kevin Moran and Riley Cronan|

The Morgan school had a year to remember with many teams winning States and Shoreline Championships. The girl’s volleyball team became state champions. Indoor track was triumphant achieving state championships in the boys sprint medley and boys 4×4.  The Morgan School Softball Team became Shoreline Champions, and many other teams were prosperous. With the school year winding down, it only feels right to recognize Morgan’s successful sports teams.

Morgan’s Volleyball team became state champions on November 15th vs. Lyman Memorial in three sets at Berlin. The Dog Pound was in full effect as the Huskies closed out the final seconds of the game, and when the final whistle blew, the fans rushed on to the court. The celebration was not over then, however, the faithful students waited for their state champion volleyball team outside with loud cheers, and the student busses had a police escort the whole way back to Clinton.Grippo's Banner

Senior Lily Dawson who played a large role in the team’s perfect season explained how the team prepared for the final season:”We do clinics and summer league every year, I wanted to make sure everyone went to those.” We also asked Lily about the team’s undefeated  season. She said that “We had some tough games that ended in a close score. Everyone called it a perfect season, and it felt great to say that it was literally perfect.” Lily will play volleyball at Keene State College during the next fall semester.

Coach Grippo was not just a successful coach of volleyball this year but for the girl’s basketball team as well.  Although they unfortunately lost, the girls still made it to the CIAC Class M finals at Mohegan Sun. The fact that the team was able to go so far for their first year in Class M is truly a credit to Coach Grippo’s coaching skills as well as the girls’ determination to be the best that they can be.

We had the pleasure of talking to Riley Smith, a sophomore on the team.  When asked about the championship and next season, she said, “It makes you want to go back out and get it next year especially after we all bonded. It made us even closer over the season.”

Morgan’s golf team continued their success this season, becoming Shoreline Champions as well as State Champions for the second year in a row. We talked to Junior Maxx Bugg who has played a large part on the team.  He stated, “I’ve been golfing since 7th grade. That’s when I really got addicted to it. I went through the same routines everyday. My dad, grandpa, and great grandpa were all members at the Clinton Country Club.” Maxx’s love for the game is truly evident as he just recently shot a game going six shots under par which was the best game they had seen at the course in 15 years. When a high school junior from The Morgan School achieved such a feat, the state knew that Morgan was ending this athletic year with a bang.

Perhaps the biggest athletic achievement for any sports team this year at the school belonged to our Boys Indoor Track Team. The team obtained the CIAC Class S State Championship in both the 4×4 and the sprint medley.  Continuing that achievement, the boys 4×4 went to the New England Championships in Boston, while the sprint medley continued their streak onward to the national tournament held in New York City.

One runner who was absolutely essential in the running of these events was Junior Brian Gendron.  So far this year, Brian has been named to the 1st team All-State for both Cross Country as well as Indoor Track.  During outdoor, as a result of the team’s overwhelming dominance in Class S, the CIAC board decided to move our outdoor track to Class M.  That didn’t phase our runners though, as the boys once again shocked the state by coming in a strong 3rd place amongst all larger schools.

We asked Brian whether this was a daunting task for himself as well as the other runners on the team: “It was definitely more of a challenge. I didn’t know anyone who I was racing against in Class M. At the same time, even though there was a different feel to it, it had to be treated like any other race.”

Overall, it is clear that Morgan had one of the most successful sports years in recent history. With so many shining athletes, it is completely possible that many of these teams could continue their success or even improve next year. To learn more about Morgan sports, go to the CIAC sports website here.