Morgan LAX

Morgan+LAX

Written by Kevin Moran|

Last season, the Morgan Lacrosse team had great success as it went deep into the season and even made it to the semi finals . This year, the Huskies have started out to an 8-3 photo (2)start. Last year, the Huskies had an impressive record of 13-6. The team has lost many great players, but many have stepped up in the absence of last year’s seniors. I caught up with some of the Huskies’ key players after last week’s triumphant win over East Catholic.

The win against East Catholic was a great home victory for the Huskies, as they played for a large student section that was filled with screaming fans. I asked Junior Chris Waterbury what the win in front of the home crowd did for the team. “It boosts the team morale. It gets us prepared and pumped up for the next game. We’re always looking forward.” Senior Luke Alfano believes that the Huskies have what it takes to have a successful season, despite the loss of last year’s seniors. “We plan on going farther this year. We made the final four last year. Everyone just has to work hard.” Alfano knows that many of his teammates look up to him. He stated “It’s a big spot to fill. You know everyone is counting on you.”

I caught up with Junior Gibson Silva and Senior Ryan Caprio the morning after their home win over East Catholic. Gibson was full of energy during the game, he said “That was the biggest crowd we’ve played against in a while. Last night was crazy.” Both Ryan and Gibson have been playing lacrosse for five years. I asked Ryan what he wanted to gain out of this year’s season. “To gain respect for the Morgan Lacrosse team. We want other good teams to know how we play. We want them to remember the name.”  The Huskies continued their winning at home the next game with a thrashing victory over rivals Haddam-Killingworth with a score of 20-6.

As the Huskies approach the final games of the season, they will surely have daunting tasks. Though the Huskies may have improvements to make, they have the potential to be victorious in the post season. To view the Morgan Huskies Maxpreps schedule, click here.