We have Winners: 32nd Annual Shoreline Writing Contest

Written by | Jonah Morello

For thirty two consecutive years, the Shoreline Writing Contest has been run by the English Departments of Coginchaug Regional High School, Old Saybrook High School, Lyme-Old Lyme High School, Valley Regional High School, Haddam-Killingworth High School, The Morgan School, Nathan Hale-Ray High School, Hyde Leadership School, North Branford High School, Westbrook High School, Cromwell High School, Portland High School, and East Hampton High School. The contest receives hundreds of entries every year in six different categories. The categories include Personal Essay, Humor, Literary Analysis, Drama, Poetry, and Short Story and the works are all judged by a panel of professional writers. The top three students in each category are then awarded prizes.

The winners from the Morgan School this year are Emily Thibodeau second place in Literary Analysis for A “Little Bit of Green“, Julia Horan first place in Poetry for “Naked Eyes”, Eli Phelps second place in Humor for “Awkwardness of Sociopaths” and Lucas Cummings first place in Humor for “The Catcher in My Eyes“. This year we had four winners, all of whom submitted great works to the contest this year. They were all honored for their hard work and stellar writing on May 22nd, 2014 at our school. The school has hosted the ceremony a few times now, and each year the ceremony is well put together. English teacher Paul Serenbetz of the Morgan School has been involved with the Shoreline Writing Contest for thirty years, and has enjoyed participating in the contest. The ceremony to honor the winners was held here in the library, and the winners came to the ceremony to receive their awards. The event was catered by Mrs. Nunan’s culinary class and as usual the food was great! The Shoreline Writing Contest is a great way to highlight our schools writing talent, and if you are interested, you should submit a piece for the 33rd Annual Shoreline Writing Contest next year! Congratulations to all the winners!

Check out the photos from the ceremony below!

View Comments (5)

• V

vuongtruong12Jun 3, 2014 at 8:14 am

Interesting article Jonah! I really enjoyed reading the article and congrats to people who won 32nd annual shoreline writing contest.

Reply
    • T

thatkidajraiJun 2, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Oh wow that is a lot of years of this completion. I never knew we have such an amazing way for students to express their work! Congrats to Lucas, Emily, Eli and Juila!

Reply
    • K

kadriscoll2014Jun 1, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Congratulations to all the winners! Having read these all, they deserved to win. Very nice work!

Reply
    • E

Elizabeth BradleyJun 1, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Congratulations guys that’s awesome! Out of hundreds of participants it’s pretty cool that their submissions stood out. The English department at Morgan is definitely one of the best and I’m glad our students can reflect that outside of the classroom as well!

Reply
    • D

dahlberg32Jun 1, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Congrats to all the winners! I loved how you linked to their pieces of work so we could read them. Great article!

Reply