Young Authors Journal: Published Writers at Morgan

Morgan Students Publish Their Creative Writing Pieces

Mrs. Weiss

Poet Laureate of Clinton Cathy Weiss was a visiting instructor to the Creative Writing class during the spring of 2021. Mrs. Weiss is a writer, painter, and photographer. Much of her work has been published. Before focusing on her passion for the arts, she worked in science and social work.
During her visits with Morgan students over the course of the semester, she shared many of her writing pieces and artwork with the students to inspire them. Students shared their writing with Mrs. Weiss, who offered advice and support. Impressed, she suggested that they submit their writing to New Authors Journal. Seniors Natalie Giaimo, Camryn Smith, and Noelle Woods all published their writings in this book. Former Morgan students Leah Burdick, Lucas Jenkins, Ciro Falanga, and Ryan Gode also have their writing pieces in this book. They all selected three of their writings pieces to, edit and revise. They, then, peer-reviewed and perfected the piece for publication. New Authors Journal is available for purchase on Amazon for $4.50. The cover features a photograph of Morgan taken by Mrs. Weiss.

The New Authors Journal was created in 1992 by Mario Farina. It consists of authors that have never published their writing pieces before. A college professor, Mr. Farina created Young Authors Journal to support and mentor writers. Mrs. Weiss invited the students who published their work to First Thursday, an event held at the firehouse stage on October 7th.
Natalie Giaimo explained that she wrote three short fiction stories. She decided to read her pieces on the night of the event along with Camryn Smith. Natalie was ecstatic to show off her writing pieces because it has always been her dream to be a published author.
Mrs. Weiss is currently working with English Teacher, Eric Bergman’s Creative Writing students. She is a very important person in the Clinton community. She provides grants and funds for all sorts of projects. She is always helping senior citizens and students at Morgan. Mrs. Weiss would like to express how she wants to make her students as happy as they make her.