Morgan Yearbook Wins Award

Written by Sandra Sirisoukh and Ingrid Rodriguez|
    Photos by Ingrid Rodriguez|

Many people don’t know how much work it takes to create the yearbook.

This year The Morgan School won a National Yearbook Program Of Excellence in recognition of outstanding performance by the yearbook advisor and staff on the 2018-2019 yearbook.

Library Media Specialist Shannon Robinson has been working on the school yearbook for about five years. Each year the yearbook committee comes up with different themes. Committee members share ideas with Josten’s printers and distributors, to learn how to best use Josten’s resources to create the yearbook.

Each year Mrs. Robinson asks students who are familiar with the yearbook to become editors. Most of these students are asked at the end of their junior year because it takes a lot of responsibility and passion. Students work on the yearbook during a class period. Students go to the library to work on pages or templates for the yearbook. The class fulfills an art or technology credit. Although coming up with themes and creating templates for the yearbook might seem easy to others, there are deadlines that need to be met. It can occasionally become stressful.

There are currently six students working on the yearbook. Senior Bella Mongillo, Amber Reed, Caitlyn Turner, Rebecca Cockley, Peter Sullivan and junior Sage Follo. In order to be part of the yearbook committee, students need to know how to create templates and how to use basic technology. Next year, Mrs. Robinson hopes there will be more freshmen and sophomores joining yearbook. This will allow them to learn how to put a yearbook together before their senior year. Anyone interested in becoming an editor for the yearbook should see Mrs. Robinson.

The yearbooks will be distributed to the seniors on Senior Awards Night, May 29th. Underclassmen will receive their yearbooks on Friday, May 31st.