Four Morgan Seniors Honored at SHED Writing Awards

Written by James Saturno |
    Photos by Catherine Staunton and The Morgan Pawprint |

Senior Mary Kate Staunton

Each year, the SHED, the Shoreline Heads of English Departments, collectively hold the Shoreline Writing Contest. The competition is open to any shoreline student in grades nine through twelve. The categories for submission are short story, poetry, one-act play, humor, analysis, and personal essay. This year, four Morgan students were honored at the awards ceremony at Valley Regional High School in Deep River, CT.

Senior Katie Kozak

The ceremony featured a much talked about “dramatic reading” of excerpts from the winning compositions, speeches from the presenters of each category, and finally, the presentation of the awards.

Four Morgan seniors were recognized at the ceremony on May 22nd. Senior Matt Beauvais’ Subversive Medieval Mishaps got third place in 11th and 12 grade Analysis, Senior Katie Kozak earned second place in the Poetry category for her poem The Lost Bookcase, Senior Wyatt Reu walked away with first place in the 11th and 12th grade Analysis category for his composition entitled The American Lie, and finally, Senior Mary Kate Staunton won first place for her personal essay: Skewering My Fears.

Senior Matt Beauvais

Everyone seemed to enjoy the event. Wyatt remarked that the “dramatic reading,” was “weird but in a good way.” Matt cited feelings of admiration for his fellow Morgan students, saying that he was “proud of Wyatt, Mary Kate, and Katie who were able to represent Morgan at this event for their talented skills in writing.” In addition, Mary Kate expressed gratitude for her teacher, saying that she was “very thankful to Mr. Serenbetz for getting us to apply.”

Senior Wyatt Reu

Congratulations again to Matt, Katie, Wyatt, and Mary Kate.