Un Viaje a España

Written by Taylor Wyatt and Sydney Fratamio|
    Pictures by Sydney Fratamico and Taylor Wyatt

On Saturday, April 14, 2018, Seniors Taylor Marnett, Emily Davis, Georgia Nye, Patrick Wilson, Juniors Madison Emmi, Erin Lindsey, Ella Franzoni, Kitty Shortt, Carter Skidmore, JP Nye, Angela Recine, Caitlin Turner, Grace Roman, Mackenzie Anderson, and Sophomores Sydney Fratamico, Taylor Wyatt, Maura Kelly, Caleb Vath, Tatiana Serrano, Natalie Novarro, Matt Alvarez, Emma Farrell and Jill Crowley headed to Spain with chaperones Spanish teachers Senora Peterson and Senora Luther, and Assistant Superintendent Marco Famiglietti.

The students and adults who attended the trip left Morgan at 11:45 am and took a 3-hour bus ride to JFK, where they got onto the plane that they were taking to Spain. The cost of the trip was about $4,000. The plane ride from JFK to Barcelona was about 7 hours. However, on the return, the students had to fly to Amsterdam through a connecting flight before arriving at JFK. In total, it took the students 11 hours to travel home.

The trip through Spain was a 6-day adventure through Barcelona and Madrid. The students and teachers arrived in Barcelona on April 15 and took a walking tour of Barcelona and had paella for lunch near the docks. The second day the students and teachers went on a guided sightseeing tour and saw La Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. On Tuesday, April 17, the group enjoyed a tour of a Barcelona market followed by a bike tour of the beaches and parks of Barcelona. On Wednesday, the students and teachers took a bullet train that went over 200mph to Madrid and visited the Prado Museum and Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía. Thursday, April 19 was the final full day. The students and teachers first went on a guided tour of Las Ventas Bullring. They later participated in a lesson of Flamenco dancing which was followed by a show. They were treated to tapas and music by the mariachi band. In the free time, the students were given throughout the trip, they enjoyed the shopping, the gelato, and many other fun activities Barcelona and Madrid had to offer.

The hotel in Barcelona was named Gran Hotel Verdi and in Madrid, the students and teachers stayed at Hotel Mediodia.

The students returned back to The Morgan School on Friday, April 20, 2018. Several students stated that they were excited about going to Spain, but many also expressed a few concerns. Natalie said, “I am very excited for Spain, but I am not looking forward to the 8-hour flight.” Students also expressed their concerns regarding money. Maura said, “I’m afraid I’m going to get pickpocketed.” While Grace said, “I am nervous I’m going to spend all of my money too fast, but I am excited about trying the coffee there.”

When she arrived home, Tatiana said, “The trip as a whole was indescribable, and I wish I could do it all over again. Natalie said, “Spain was incredible. I was shocked by how different their culture was, and I loved how our school allowed us to go to a different part of the world and experience new things.” Matt said, “The bike tour was definitely my favorite part of the trip, but, I really loved everything. Madison said, “I loved seeing all of the churches and cathedrals, and having a chance to walk around and see Barcelona and Madrid with my friends.”

This Spain trip was an excellent opportunity for the students to experience a Spanish speaking culture first hand to enhance their own knowledge of the language.