Opinion: Corruption in the White House

Written by Allison Goguen|
Photos via Mashable 

Lately, the news has been asking the same question over and over, ‘did Trump really just do that?’. Something the news has been missing though is what Trump’s son in law, Senior Advisor Jared Kushner is up to. The real estate agent married Trump’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, and became part of the family business. When Trump took the presidency, Kushner was promoted to his senior adviser.

Kushner seated beside Trump

Kushner never seemed to be any sort of threat, as America was worried about the growing political rift, and what ridiculous thing Trump would say next. But, in the background, Trump’s son in law was meeting with a man named Sergey Kislyak (picture in the lower right), a Russian ambassador who was aligned with Putin. They met in Trump Tower in New York City after Trump took the White House. The biggest question about the meeting: what did they discuss? Kushner swears that their talks were only political, but Kislyak shares a different story. He claims that he and Kushner met to discuss not political business, but business business: money making business, the kind that is far from legal.

Sergey Kislyak

This is not the first time Kushner has been suspected of trying to make money through Russia. Earlier on in the year, in December, Kushner met with a Russian banker, named Sergey Gorkov. Sophomore Dan Radka, a Democrat, said, “the line of impeachment is when business and politics cross and Trump starts supporting his own interests.” There’s a chance that Kushner isn’t hoping to make money. He just really likes talking to Russian people named Sergey, but then you have to look at the kind of money that can be made with Russia.

This is not the first time Kushner has been suspected of trying to make money through Russia. Last year, in December, Kushner met with a Russian banker, named Sergey Gorkov. There’s a chance that Kushner isn’t hoping to make money, he just really likes talking to people named Sergey, but then you have to look at the kind of money that can be made with Russia.

Gorkov’s bank, the VEB, has deep ties with the Kremlin but is under sanctions from the US, which puts reigns on its power. Currently, the FBI and Senate investigators want to figure out if the two of them met to discuss the bank specifically if they discussed Kushner asking his soon-to-be president father in law to lessen the sanctions on the VEB in exchange for Russian favors and money. Now that Kushner has also met with Kislyak, who says they were discussing financial business, Kushner isn’t looking so innocent. Freshman Joshua Kennedy, who does not consider himself to belong to the Democratic or Republican Party said, “anything that needs to come up involving Russia… needs to be acknowledged.”

To make matters worse, Kushner recently requested a private line of communication with Kislyak, which would allow the two of them to have conversations that the FBI would not be able to listen to. Sophomore Dan Radka asked, “If he has nothing to hide, then why is he opening a private line of communication? Why does it need to be secret? If everything’s going to be normal, diplomatic business, why does he need a private line?”

Some feel that this shouldn’t be our focus, Sophmore Scott Accetta, a Republican said that he feels this is not as important as the other big events in America right now. Others are already calling for impeachment. Investigations are still underway, but every day it seems more and more connections are revealed between Trump’s administration and Russia.

Photo via
Kushner
Kislyak
White House