Senior Class Officers: IT’S L17

Written by Emily Sordo and Rachel Ford |

This year the class of 2017 had a change of class officers. The change has brought new ideas and a challenge with a new group learning how to work together to make our senior year great.

powderpuff blondes and brunettes
    2015 Powderpuff Game

A huge part of being an officer for the senior class is planning the senior trip, senior prom and fundraisers to make sure all of these events are possible. For the last four years, the class of 2017’s big fundraiser has been the powderpuff football game. ”Last year we made about $700 so hopefully this year we will make more, especially because it’s the week before Thanksgiving so we have alumni,” said class secretary Karla Rivadeneria. This year it is going to be a night game, under the lights, on November 21. Vice President, Dashaun James, said that he wants powder puff to be “litty” and make a lot of money for our class.

Our senior prom is planned for Thursday, May 18th at Waters Edge. We booked the royal ballroom, the upstairs room that has a balcony that looks over the beach. Because it is on a Thursday, seniors get late arrival and breakfast on Friday. The price is going to be cheaper than the class of 2017’s junior prom.

Senior class president, Marcus McDermott wants our senior trip to be more class oriented as opposed to just going off with our friends.  “We don’t have anything planned per say, but we’re in for a good time.” He thinks it’s important to focus on consolidating as opposed to separating like we have in past years. Our class has been known for being difficult to all come together to do something fun like past classes. “I think it’s very vital for our last year we enjoy it as a family.”

Although there have been many changes in student council, the officers are still on top of their game trying to make the seniors last year one to remember.