Victory for the Lady Huskies

Written by Kayla Burt and Melissa Sullivan |

The Morgan Cheer Team has been working hard to prepare for the five upcoming cheer competitions. The Lady Huskies attended Wolverines Pride Cheerleading Competition on February 6th and won 1st place in the All Girls Varsity Division. They have also attended Devils Dare Competition on February 13th and placed 4th out of 14 teams in their division. They will also be attending New England Open Cheer Championship on February 27th, and States on March 4th. Coach Joni Capobianco has worked extra hard to create a fun and exciting routine for the girls competition.

Morgan Cheer Seniors
Seniors (left to right) Jenna Jasinski, Julia Hornyak, Coach Joni Capobianco, Melissa Sullivan, Kayla Burt

The team’s goal, according to Ms. Capobianco, has nothing to do with place status. “Competition is about putting 110% of your ability on the mat. You perform at your highest peak level, and you leave everything you have on the mat. You do that, and you’re golden.”

The girls practice three times a week, plus football and basketball games. This culminates to at least 15 hours per week. Physical preparation begins in late summer with conditioning and skill building. Conditioning consists of flexibility, strength and cardio while skill building consists of jumps, tumbling, dance/cheer and stunting.

This past year Morgan Cheerleading has gained seven new girls including four freshman, two sophomores, and one junior. Most of these new teammates have never competed or cheered in their lifetime, making these competitions very nerve racking. “I’m excited and a little nervous because I don’t know what to expect” says Freshman Amber Deluca. But the team still has experienced and confident members such as Senior Jenna Jasinski, “I feel more confident about this year because I know how competition is run and what to expect.”

Even though the cheerleaders are usually the ones to support and cheer on others, they are in need of some support themselves. Their biggest advocates, Ms. Capobianco and Mathematics Teacher Stephanie White never fail to keep the team unified and positive. “The cheer team has become more of a tight knit and cohesive group. I will be at all of the competitions supporting the girls,” says Ms. White.

Morgan Cheer Team
The Morgan Cheer team at Wolverines Pride Cheer Competition

The Morgan Cheerleaders have been working super hard to perfect their routine and hope that the student body will come to support them just as they have supported others. They are trying to get a spectator bus approved for anyone who would like to attend NECA on February 27th. The student body’s support would mean so much to the team and to Ms. Capobianco.

[wpvideo k35kDEKC]