Vous Allez Nous Manquer, Mrs. Sunny

Written by Jadan Washington|
Videotaped by Meghan Lindsey |

Our amazing Word Language Teacher Jean Sunny will be leaving The Morgan School! Mrs. Sunny has to replace grade books and red pens with knitting needles and quilts. She will be retiring from teaching.  She plans to volunteer for the historical society and for literacy volunteers. This decision was very difficult for her.  When I met with Mrs. Sunny about her time here at The Morgan School, even though we were talking about such a sad subject, Mrs. Sunny was able to stay lighthearted.

Mrs. Sunny’s joy for the staff and students was very apparent. “I’m going to miss the great kids, the staff members who are wonderful people, and I think I’m going to miss creating fun but educational games.” Although she will miss her job, she is excited about having more time to pursue her hobbies such as quilting, gardening, and traveling. Mrs. Sunny will be leaving The Morgan School after spreading a joy and passion for language to many students. She has a message to leave for her students: “Go out in the world and travel, and have a good time. But still love back home and appreciate your life for what you have.”

Mrs. Sunny is a teacher that has left a big impact on The Morgan School. If you’ve had the pleasure of having class with Mrs. Sunny, then you are aware of how quirky she is. She is known for her stories of near death and her creative teaching techniques.  In 2013, Mrs. Sunny and her French 1 and 2 students were featured in The Morgan PawPrint article Back to France! after they created videos to send to students in France.  Recently Mrs. Sunny’s French IV class created a French newspaper entitled L’Impreinte des Pattes.  Mrs. Sunny is also advisor to The French National Honor Society and an avid supporter of Poem in Your Pocket Day.

When staff and students shared their impressions of Mrs. Sunny, they described her as charismatic, funny, motherly, bright, and elegant. World language teacher Kathleen Barrett offered some advice to Mrs Sunny, “Laissez le bon temps rouler. Which means, let the good times roll.”  Mathematics teacher Monica Mikulski also had a message for Mrs. Sunny: “Not that you are retiring, you have time to enjoy eating, knitting, and playing with babies…unless you want to switch places with me.”  Senior Karli Robertson who remembers the drawers and cabinets Mrs. Sunny fills with odd teaching props, warned “Clean out your drawers because I don’t want to see baby heads in there.”

Other students of Mrs. Sunny offered their tribute in the video messages below.

[wpvideo wQFg3BJu]

• V

VivianMay 18, 2015 at 7:40 am

Great Job! I’m going to miss Mrs. Sunny.