Morgan’s Superstars

Morgans+Superstars

Written By Ashlyn Chidsey |

The class of 2015 is nearing the end of their sports career at The Morgan School. Some of the greatest memories for the athletes of the senior class were the golf state and shoreline championships in 2013 and 2014, the volleyball state championship in 2014, volleyball shoreline championships in 2011-2013, and the girls basketball shoreline championship in 2015. Athletic Director Kevin Rayel gave his word about the senior class athletes: “The seniors have left an outstanding mark on the athletic department at The Morgan School. Through their leadership, the school’s 21 varsity sports have made it into 19 CIAC tournaments this year which is a great accomplishment.” There were many more accomplishments made for some of the individual players as well. So what’s next for the senior class athletes? Many are deciding to retire their years in varsity sports and play club or intramural in college. However, Morgan will proudly be turning over a few of their best athletes to the next level in sports as a few players further their career in the college of their choice.

Jen DawsonOn April 15, Seniors Jen Dawson and Brian Gendron signed to play their sport next year. Jen will be playing volleyball at Southern Connecticut State University and Brian will be running track at UMass Amherst. During high school, Jen was all-state for volleyball junior and senior year and  all state for softball junior year. After the state championship game in volleyball in 2013, Jen was named MVP of Class S, and she has received a numerous amounts of different scholar athlete awards as well. Jen feels as though the coaches, team, and competition have played a huge role in preparation for her future. “The competition especially late in the season showed me what it was like to play against very good players who also had the potential to play in college.”

Brian played soccer freshman year but then decided that running is his future so for the rest of the years he ran pixelFullSizeRender (4)
cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track and field. He’s had much success the past few years. For cross country, Brian was all-shoreline junior and senior year and all-state his junior year. For indoor he was all-shoreline and all-state junior and senior year, and for outdoor he was all-shoreline junior year. Between his coaches and his team, Brian feels as though he is well prepared for next year. “Underwood and Gersz have given me the right mindset and inspired me to push myself to do more not only at practice but on my own as well. The past four years the team has definitely made it more enjoyable to come to practice everyday.”

Playing at the next level will be a huge difference for the two athletes, but both are excited and up for the challenge. When asked how they feel about playing their sport next year in college, both Jen and Brian say that they know the competition is going to be tough and a lot more competitive then what they are used to, but they are very excited to compete at a higher level. Mr. Rayel said, “I think Jen and Brian will do well next year. They are both dedicated to their sports and they are both hard workers.”

Picture of Brian taken by Steady Photography