Crime at Morgan!

Written by: Cameron LeClaire  |

Some people may not think recycling is important, but it is a state law. Recycling is good for our economy, helps to create jobs, and prevents global warming. There are many items that are required to be recycled such as glass and metal food and beverage containers, plastic containers, waste oil, storage batteries, scrap metal, corrugated cardboard, box board, newspapers, magazines, white and colored office paper, and rechargeable batteries.

RecyclingThe Freshman class of 2018 attempted to create a lasting recycling program. This attempt failed when no freshmen decided to step up and help. Instead, only one student from the class of 2017 attempted to collect all the recycled goods for the entire school, to fulfill the required community service hours.  Mathematics teacher Monica Mikulski explained that “the Freshmen class would have been able to benefit from the money raised.”

Many students have very similar views on recycling here at The Morgan School. Sophomore Hannah Gaudet  believes  ” It’s nice to help out the environment. I feel that 100% of people should recycle.” Whereas, Senior Jadan Washington explains how ” We should recycle more, and receive more backing by the student body.”

Assistant Principal, Tyler Webb “didn’t know that there was a law.”  He expressed his support,”  I am not opposed to it. I think that it is a law that we need to follow.” Mr. Webb recycles at home because he knows it is important to be able to reuse thMr.Webbe materials to better our environment. “It’s really important to recycle. I don’t feel like we are working on it as well as we should be with the amount of people here at The Morgan School,” explains Learning Commons media specialist Shannon Robinson.

Recycling bins are being thrown away due to the fact that they are not in use anymore. “They didn’t just throw out my cardboard boxes full of paper, but they also threw out my blue recycling bins that I had bought myself,” asserted Science teacher Colleen Whittel.

Custodian Michael Guertin, explained how ” we used to be recycling at the begining or the year, but now we just do cans and cardboard. There is not enough time to separate through the mixed trash and recycling.” As a school, we need to do a better job of  separating the trash and the recycling into their own separate bins. If everyone separates the paper and the trash, the custodians will be able to recycle.

Recycling is a law that needs to be followed to better our environment. More students and faculty need to be willing to fix this issue as a whole. One specific group of students or teachers cannot handle recycling for the entire school. This is a growing issue that needs to be addressed.

• P

patrickmarkovicsMar 30, 2015 at 8:58 am

I like all the facts and good information you put in your article.