Nothing Soft About These Girls

Lauren Fitzgerald playing short-stop

Written by Dan Zumpano |

Morgan has a lot of potential to be a powerhouse this year in softball. The Lady Huskies softball team has gotten off to a modest start to its  season. The first game of the year was a tough loss to North Branford 1 to 0. After rallying the troops, coach Sal Fiorillo sparked a fire under the Huskies’ bats and they certainly responded. The Huskies destroyed Wilcox Tech 10 to 0 completely putting their past game behind them.  There next game would be against rival H-K. The Huskies battled well but fell to the Cougars 8 to 6. The loss motivated the girls, however, and in their next three games, they would score 45 runs. They defeated Old Saybrook 12 to 9, after a legendary performance by senior shortstop Lauren Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald went 5 for 5 on the day with not one, not two, but three home runs and four runs batted in. The Huskies also defeated Valley Regional 14 to 5 and crushed Cromwell 19 to 1. The Huskies at the time seemed like they were on an earth shattering roll, but their next game would end the winning streak. Morgan lost to Portland 4 to 3 in a heartbreaker. However, just like after their loss to H-K, the Huskies bounced back with an offensive explosion in their next three games. Last Wednesday they went up to Westbrook and thrashed the Knights 13 to 1 as sophomore third baseman Jamie Fitzgerald went 3 for 5 with one home run and two runs batted in. The Huskies came back home to play Old Lyme in a double header. Even with the unusually frigid temperatures on Friday, the Huskies bats remained hot. Morgan won game one 10 to 1 and game two 10 to 0. But the happy times would only last for so long. The Huskies travled up to Coginchaug Regional high school to take on the Devils. They showed a valiant effort but fell to Coginchaug 5 to 4.. Yesterday the Huskies bounced back though. They defeated East Hampton 7 to 2 with a big game from senior shortstop Lauren Fitzgerald who went three for four at the dish with 2 runs batted in, including two triples.  Now at the halfway point in the season and coming down the home stretch, the Huskies will be charging at every team with full force. With their eight and four record, the Huskies  look prime for a championship run.