Mrs. O’Brien, the Counselor Behind it All

Written By: Maya Kadel |

Mrs. O'Brien

There are many exciting upcoming plans for freshmen. Do you ever wonder who comes up with them? Your guidance counselor Mrs. Janice O’Brien comes up with wonderful ideas to engage freshmen in activities. STEP is just one of many programs Mrs. O’Brien establishes for freshmen. Mrs. O’Brien also believes that freshmen year is very important,”I think freshmen are in a year of transition. It’s important to have programs that deal with that issue.” Mrs. O’Brien also gets her ideas from YouTube. She may search: “what are some common issues that freshmen struggle with?” From there, she will come up with ideas to help freshmen with their problems. Some activities involve freshmen interaction with one another. Freshmen work together to solve a problem. Those activities enhance communication skills between the freshmen and help them get along.

“I try to create activities that you can put the student body into.” The STEP dance gave the freshmen an experience of a school dance, so they can experience one before homecoming. Before the club fair, freshmen did a fun activity that involved working together; that was established by Mrs.O’Brien. The creative activities benefit freshman to feel more welcomed and comfortable in The Morgan School. Thankfully, many upperclassmen volunteer to help out in the events.

“At first, I felt very nervous. The programs Mrs. O’Brien created such as STEP, made me feel much better,” explained Freshman Mikaela Gaudet. There are some upcoming programs such as, haunted hallways. Students have the opportunity to participate in haunted hallways. The theme this year is asylum. Freshmen also have an opportunity to participate so they have a chance to be a part of something big.

Mrs. O’Brien tries her very best to please the freshman and make them comfortable. The activities engage students and make them feel more motivated to be a part of school programs. Not many students know she is behind the wonderful activities for the freshman. I, as well as other freshmen, appreciate Mrs. O’Brien’s programs and  look forward to more upcoming events.