Liberty Bank Presents Shelby Mehmet with ‘Youth in Action’ Award

By Elizabeth Bradley|

In 2011 Liberty Bank created an award that was designed to recognize high school and middle school Shelby Mehmet and Mrs. Hagnessstudents who are
    assets to their communities through volunteering, fundraising, or advocating for nonprofit organizations. There are two $1,000 award finalists and three regional finalists who are awarded $100. All of the award recipients choose what charity or non-profit organization they want to donate their money to.  Junior Shelby Mehmet was unaware that she was nominated for the award, but she was honored when she heard she was a finalist. Shelby Mehmet chose to donate her $100 award to the Morgan Student Assistance Fund.  This fund helps Morgan students in need.

Morgan School Psychologist Sara Thompson explained what the Student Assistance Fund is: “The fund provides for things students otherwise would not be able to take part in, such as prom tickets, field trips, clothes in the winter, and any other student events.” Also, in the beginning of the year, teachers make donations to the assistance fund in exchange to dress down on Fridays.

Junior Shelby Mehmet is a board member and committee co-chair on Partners in Community (PiC) and also a board member on CAPP (Connecticut Association of Prevention Practitioners). This past Memorial Day weekend, Shelby volunteered at the picnic hosted by Partners in Community after the parade. Shelby is also a unified runner for the Special Olympics in a 4 x 100 relay.  I asked Shelby what she was most proud of when it comes to getting involved in her community, and she said, “I love to see the smile of the people who I have helped, and I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to make a difference in others’ lives. I hope that I have opened doors that may have not been there before for others. I aspire to inspire. I hope to inspire others to make a difference in someone else’s life, their family, school, community and beyond.”

This coming fall of 2014 Shelby will be looking forward to her senior year and the college application process. I asked Shelby if she has any goals for this summer or next year. She said, “Over the summer I will still be involved with PiC and CAPP. I plan to join the unified softball team for Special Olympics. I look forward to planning and having the 2nd annual Family Olympics, as well as many other projects. For my senior year, I will continue to make a difference. Who knows what that will entail.”

• V

vuongtruong12Jun 11, 2014 at 7:48 am

This is a great article Liz! I enjoyed reading this article.

• M

Mrs. HagnessJun 10, 2014 at 8:58 am

Nice overview of Shelby’s contributions. Thanks for doing the article LIz.