Huskies Thrash Rival Valley 12-4: Young Guns and Defense propel Morgan to Victory

Senior defensemen, Matt Laudano, throws a check towards a Valley midfielder

Written by Dan Zumpano |

It certainly was “Good Friday” for the Morgan boy’s lacrosse team. The Huskies came into Deep River not knowing what to expect from one of their biggest rivals, the Valley Regional Warriors. In the beginning of the game the Huskies showed that they were a little uneasy to start when Valley pumped in a quick goal to take the early lead. However, the Huskies would have the score tied up at 2 at the end of the first quarter. Now that they knew they could hang with the Warriors, the Huskies turned on the afterburners and never looked back.

The Huskies future all of a sudden got a lot brighter when freshman phenom attackman, Chris Waterbury, and sophomore sensation attackman Luke Alfano went off on the Warriors goalie Andrew Ferrucci. Back and forth Waterbury and Alfano matched goal for goal all afternoon. In the end,  Alfano ended up with five goals and two assists and Waterbruy with four goals and one assist. Junior Nick Testoni added to his stat sheet  two more goals and four more assists and junior Marc Simmons recorded one goal.

The Huskies also got incredible play from their defensemen. Seniors Matt Laudano and Ryan Corcoran, along with junior Gilson Martins and sophomore Mark Zumpano, shut down Valley’s offense. The Warriors got off only twenty shots all day and sophomore goalie Alex Eimutus saved sixteen of them. With the defense playing so well, the young leftie goalie could focus on stopping any shot Valley threw at him.

The Huskies are now 2 and 0 for the year and looking for more blood. However, they still have a long way to go. With even tougher teams coming up in the schedule, there is no time to celebrate for these Huskies. With powerhouse teams like Stonington, Trumbull and Notre Dame of West Haven still on the schedule,  the Huskies still want to improve and perfect their game. The next battle will be at Indian River Complex on Monday, April 9 against Rocky Hill at four o’clock. The Huskies will try to keep riding their winning streak. They have played well so far, but we will see what this team is made of in the weeks to come.