Starting Off Strong

Written by Dan Zumpano |

Morgan Huskies Boys Lacrosse Team Opens Season With a Win |

Yesterday the Morgan boys lacrosse team opened its season against the East Catholic Eagles in winning fashion. Indian River Complex was rocking when the Huskies defeated East Catholic 10 to 3 behind a stellar performance by attack man Nick Testoni.  Testoni served up a four goal and two assist performance to start off his year.  He is looking to improve after last year’s monster sixty goal season, which was 5th of all lacrosse players in the state. The rest of the squad provided plenty of fire power. After going up 2 to 0, the Huskies let up their first goal of the year. After a quick timeout by coach Simmons, players flew  high the rest of the game. Midfielder Marc Simmons added three goals and senior midfielders, Mike Short and Tyler Costello,  each had one. Even freshman Joe Lee got in on the scoring action, recording his first goal as a varsity lacrosse player. “Overall we played pretty good, but we could have done better,” said senior long pole midfielder Jeremy Garbinski. “The defense played well. We were man down for awhile because of penalties,, but our defense held, and it was a lift for our confidence. On offense we played aggressively. Our motion offense worked to perfection.” Garbinski was pleased with the win but not satisfied with the performance of the team. “We played alright, but we need to play better against the better teams. Yes, we won, but we’re going to move on from this and focus up for Friday’s game. It is one that we really want to win.”  The Huskies play the Valley Regional Warriors at four o’clock on Friday afternoon. They will try to continue their winning ways against one of their biggest rivals. It should be an intense match up, and the Huskies are ready for their first big challenge.