Nail Biter in Extras

Written by Ryan Donovan |

The Morgan Boys Baseball Team had its home opener yesterday against the Valley Regional Warriors. Ronnie Buchetto was on the hill to start against a freshman for Valley. The game was off to a quick start with a one nothing game after the top of the first. Valley capitalized on an error in the field to put across its first run. Morgan players didn’t fold over though;  they answered with a run of their own to make it a tie ball game after the first. The game went into a little bit of a lull for the next few innings until the top of the fourth.   The Warriors put up three runs to put the Huskies back on their heels. Again though Morgan didn’t fold;  the team answered in the fourth with three runs of its own.  Ronnie made sure that the top of the fifth was quick to give Morgan a chance to take the lead in the bottom of the inning. Morgan came back in the bottom of the fifth with a single from Ryan Donovan to drive in Matt Chidsey. The game stayed tied through regulation and entered extra innings. Tim Neri came into  pitch in  the sixth and stayed in through the seventh, eighth and ninth.  He did a phenomenal job giving up no runs and set up the Huskies in the bottom of the ninth with a chance to win.  Matt Chidsey stood on third with two outs and Captain Stefan DiCrosta was at the plate in the bottom of the ninth. The first pitch of the at-bat was sent up the middle by DiCrosta to deliver the game wining run for the Huskies. The team stormed the field to bombard Stefan with hugs and chest bumps.  The Huskies jump out to a 1-0 start to the regular season.