Twenty-Four Spots and Everyone Wants One

How chaotic! Take a look at these students racing to the library!

Written by Emily Card |

While passing to and from our classes, we now often see students frantically running in the hallway because they’re headed to the “Learning Commons”.  In years past, students were welcomed during their study period and had free access to books, computers, and the quiet environment.  However, since the start of this year, many changes have been made.  Students put away their books five minutes before the bell ending their class rings; their eyes lock  on the clock, and their legs are ready to spring into action in hopes that they’ll beat the  crowd and claim one of the twenty-four spots available in the Learning Commons.  To secure a spot, many students employ several tactics to get their name on the list.   As Alison Brundrett explained, “I always have to sweet talk my way in here.”  That is one technique many can attest to- putting their charm to good use.  There are also other ways to beat the system.  Matt Laudano states, “I always have English before study, so I’m close and can be almost guaranteed a spot”.  Those lucky enough to have a class  near the “Learning Commons”  before their study hall still have to scramble, but they have a greater chance of reserving their spot than those students trapped in the distant history wing or crowded math hallway.

Once in the Learning Commons, the expected quiet environment of a study period has been transformed.  Matt Laudano argues, “There are great new chairs and booths and new furniture, and she expects everyone to be quiet, even though the environment has been created for what now seems to be a social one.”  Who is to say this isn’t true?  One cannot deny that the sleek diner booths and comfortable purple chairs provide a feeling of a small coffee shop.  Although the purchase of these new pieces was to form a comfortable atmosphere for students to work, this is lost.  Additionally, because not everyone has a chance to be one of those twenty-four students, it is unfair that the “Learning Commons” now features fresh furniture  and not everyone has the freedom to enjoy it.  Mrs. Robinson has her own take on the whole ordeal.  “I understand students aren’t happy and feel pressured.  But because it is a double period, if it was left open, 60 students could be in here at one time with one adult.  Also, because of the high walls in the library, noise echoes.  We understand this is a problem and want to make the library accessible to students for the right purpose, academics first and social second.  There will be a faculty meeting at the end of the month to discuss and work on a system.”  Also  Mr.Jacobson has his own perspective.  With a chuckle, he proceeded to say, “It’s a fairness issue, but it’s funny.   It’s a good problem to have; people want to be in the library.” He then concluded with a sarcastic tone, “We are working on solutions.” Overall, it appears that because Mrs.Robinson witnesses the frustration on a daily basis, she is genuinely searching for ways to improve, whereas Mr.Jacobson describes the situation on a lighter, more amusing note because he isn’t able to observe the chaos each period.  The opinion on the system now in place, with the exception of Mr.Jacobson, is less than favorable.  In the meantime, be sure to steer clear of those rushing in the hallway.