Frosting, Sprinkles, and Decadent Cake: Cupcake Wars 2014

Written By Jonathan Markovics |

The Morgan School foods Classes will be competing in the second annual Cupcake War here at Morgan on Friday, March 28, 2014.  The Cupcake War is only open to students in the Foods II and Culinary II Classes.  There are currently 18 teams that will be competing against each other, either in pairs or solo.  The winner from the school competition will move on to the regional competition at Morgan on Friday May 9, 2014.

The competitors only have two days to prepare, bake, and decorate the cupcakes.  On Thursday, March 27 the teams will be preparing and baking the cupcakes so they are cooled by Friday’s competition.  On Friday, March 28, the competition day, the teams will be frosting, decorating, and plating the cupcakes for the judges.  Each team needs to bake and decorate 24 cupcakes and have them ready to be judged at 11:00 AM.

There will be five judges for the Cupcake War competition this year:  Mr. Cross, Superintendent; Mr. Williams, BOE Member; Mrs. DiBona, BOE last term; Mrs. Ruggierio, BOE last term; Mrs. Mansfield, Clinton Townswoman.

The judges will be critiquing the cupcakes based on apperance, presentation, taste, texture, difficulty, and overall effort.  Each judge will sample a small piece of each cupcake and discusss the pros/cons as a group beofre submitting the rubrics for each cupcake.  The winner of the second annual Cupcake War competition will be announced at the end of the school day.

A cupcake is a small cake to serve one person, which is baked in a thin paper or aluminum liner.  Icing or other decorations, like candy or sprinkles,  are used to decorate the cupcake’s top.  However, the competitors’ cupcakes go above and beyond a simple cupcake.  A few cupcakes that will be judged on Friday are a pina colada cupcake with pineapple buttercream, an early morning cupcake (french toast cupcake, maple buttercream, candied bacon bits), an apple pie cupcake, an iced coffee cupcake, a raspberry iced tea cupcake, and many more!

The winners of the second annual Cupcake War are as follows:

1st Place:  Lily DeLaura, Becca Farrow, Jamie Fitzgerald

2nd Place:  Gabby Holveck and Sophie Roman

3rd Place:  Kate Eveland

Read about last year’s Cupcake War competition here!