Acknowledging Hispanic Heritage Month

Shining Light on Hispanic Culture

What is National Hispanic-Heritage Month?

Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15 through October 15 nationally. This month was created to recognize the achievements and celebrate history, cultures and contributions of Hispanic-Americans who have also inspired other people to achieve success. The national month is observed on September 15 because it is the anniversary of independence for Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua which is also followed by Mexico on Sept. 16, Chile on Sept. 18 and Belize on Sept. 21. Hispanic Heritage observance originally began in 1968 by President Lyndon Johnson, it was originally called Hispanic Heritage Week. Later in 1988, it was expanded to Hispanic Heritage Month by President Ronald Reagan according to the National Archives. Many presidents present public statements and host gatherings to praise contributions of Hispanic Americans to the United States society.

Sophomore Maddie Sacta 

Many Hispanic-Americans have contributed greatly adding tremendous value to the U.S. economy, but they also support and help fund social services that benefit all Americans.
Hispanic-Americans that attend The Morgan School shared their knowledge of Hispanic-Heritage Month. Sophomore Ariana Salgar, who is from Columbia, mentioned that near Christmastime, she and her family celebrate 25 days until Christmas day. Her culture is celebrated by reading different stories from the Bible, making different types of foods, and talking about things that surround Christmas for 25 days.

Sophomore Zulieka Morales, who is from Ecuador said that she had known about Hispanic-Heritage month, but she thinks that it should be more widespread and well known to everyone. More people should be aware of Hispanic-Heritage Month and the celebrations of cultures.
Sophomore Maddie Sacta, who is also from Ecuador said that her culture is very well represented by the dancing and the festivities. Maddie said that she was aware of Hispanic-Heritage Month and celebrated it within her culture and family as well.

Crisangel Afanador
Freshman Crisangel Afanador

Freshman Crisangel Afandaor, who is from Puerto Rico, said that he was not aware that Hispanic-Heritage Month was celebrated or that it was even a thing. Crisangel said that Hispanic ethnicity is one of the largest populations today. In the United States, about 18% of the entire population is Hispanic which is the second leading behind White ethnicity according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Crisangel mentioned that there are lots of people of Hispanic-Heritage that contribute a ton to the United States economy and population. “Hispanic-Americans should be represented much more than they are now because they contribute so much to the United States, from food, culture, and even the economy.”

Other students did not know not even know that Hispanic Heritage Month was celebrated. They wish that they did know about it, so they could learn about Hispanic Heritage, the different cultures and celebrations.

Sophomore Leah Scoppa, said that she had heard of Hispanic-Heritage Month, but she was unaware of when it was celebrated and what it was all about. Leah also mentioned that she thinks that it should be more represented, so people can learn about different cultures and their traditions.

Hispanic-Americans have contributed so much and their contributions deserve to be celebrated and acknowledged not only during this month, but all the time. Now, what can we do to better acknowledge and appreciate Hispanic-Americans contributions and culture in United States society?