Safe and Secure

By Kendra Dean |

After the Sandy Hook Tragedy, schools are upgrading their security. Recently, there have been new additions to the Morgan School security wise. The faculty here at Morgan has to wear I.D. badges, which they use to unlock the side doors and wear throughout the day. Also, the students cannot use the side door, closest to the parking lot  to enter the school.  They now must go to the front entrance to get in the building.

When I spoke with Mrs. Hagness, she said that there will be more additions to security, such as, easier to use, locks for the doors, a sheet of black velcro to cover the windows with just in case there is an intruder, and I.D. badges for visitors. When the new school is built, there will be similar systems but more advanced including a double entry, and shatter-proof glass.

I decided to  get the opinions of teachers and students on how they feel about the additions and whether or not they feel safer. Mrs. Neumann said, ” It’s a positive step to trying to make Morgan a safer place.” She also said that she does feel safe right now.  Ms. White said, ” It’s a good idea. Every school has been adding to their security. It makes everyone feel safe and secure.” Caitlin Massaro said, ” It’s annoying that we have to go in the front door, but I guess it is safer.” Jayde Forbes said, ” I feel safer, but they should open both doors in the morning.”

Make sure to comment and share how you feel about the additions to security!

View Comments (7)

• H

HannahSep 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

Great artclrn

Reply
  • J

JuliaSep 24, 2013 at 9:28 am

I like how our school is starting to make a difference with our safety. It helps students feel more secure

Reply
  • E

Emily ZirkelbachSep 23, 2013 at 9:53 am

I like how our school is caring about the security of the students and want to keep us safe, and that their actually doing something about this.

Reply
  • P

Paige MustaroSep 21, 2013 at 10:13 am

I like how we’ve updated the security but it makes the morning time a greater hassle then it was in previous years. The school does feel safer now compared to my last three years here at Morgan.

Reply
  • M

mlacross98Sep 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I feel somewhat more safe with the new security rules. There still is more we can do though. The new security with the outside doors defenitly causes more problems with the parking lot though. This is something hopefully the new school will fix.

Reply
  • T

themorganpawprintSep 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I agree with Mrs. Neumann and Mrs. White. To be productive, we need to feel safe in school. I like the new IDs that let me buzz myself into school.

Reply
  • K

kelseynovakkSep 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I think that the new security makes late mornings a little inconvenient, but I like being able to come to school and feel safe so I agree with the measures being taken so far.

Reply