All for Nepal

Written by Jillian Crowley and Emma Iovene |
Photos by Emma Iovene|

Junior Maya Kadel

Between India and China in the Great Himalayan Range is Nepal. Nepal has a population of 28.5 million people.

Juniors Maya Kadel, Mary-Kate Staunton, and Grace Hull will be traveling to the capital of Nepal during the summer to help support women in need. For Maya, this will be her third time traveling to the country.

The girls will be traveling to Nepal from July 22 to August 14 to volunteer at an all girls school. The school was created to provide women with an education who were taken out of sex trafficking for a second chance at life.

During the school year, the girls have been selling headbands and bracelets to raise money for the education of women in Nepal to donate to the school.

Not only are the girls giving their time to volunteer at a school, but Maya specifically is also trying to help dogs that are injured and homeless. She has been raising money for the Kathmandu Animal Treatment Centre on her Go Fund Me page with a goal of 600 dollars. Maya’s father is from Nepal, and some of his family lives in the village called Pokhara. Maya will be hosting the trip and will be visiting her family.

Mary-Kate, another junior who is traveling to Nepal,  has never done anything like this before. She stated that she “is excited for [her] trip [as she will be] going to be a lot of fun stuff like volunteering and trekking.” She has, however, traveled to other countries like Ireland, Costa Rica, and Thailand but not for volunteer work.

Grace Hull is thrilled to have the opportunity to be going to another country for the first time. She said she is “very lucky to have such an amazing opportunity and can’t wait to see some really breathtaking things.”