Girls Playing Golf and Making History

Written by Lindsay Harden |

It has been a long a tiring process for us senior girls on the golf team, but on Thursday, April 27, 2017, the Morgan Girls Golf team had their first official away girls’ match. We played the front 9 at the Madison Country Club against their girls’ team. All 7 of our girls including 3/4 of our seniors had the opportunity to play. Senior Olivia Powers is officially a member of the boys’ team but was still there to cheer us on at the first tee.

Phoebe on the first tee

Although the girls do not have the 16 matches as a team required to qualify for states as a team, all of the girls will be playing in 16 matches as individuals in which we can use those scores to qualify for states as an individual player. As for the April 27, match we did not win as a team but still had success within our own personal seasons.

For some of the girls, this was their first opportunity to play in a real match, an opportunity that I never had as a freshman. Our coaches Eliot Science teacher Ryan Cherry and English teacher Eric Bergman, as well as our parents, have worked extremely hard to provide us with these opportunities and push the process of us becoming a team.  It’s safe to say we are all very grateful for their hard work and persistence.

As a team we pride ourselves on being a very close group of girls. As a senior, I definitely enjoy playing with my fellow seniors and the underclassmen. It has been tossed around by many members of the team that our closeness rivals that of MFH (Morgan Field Hockey). Senior Olivia Amendola confirms this saying ,”MGG is closer than field hockey, for sure.” Sophomore Marie Kane said, “I enjoy golf very much. It’s a lot of fun for me. I’m very excited for the next matches… golf is one of my favorite, and I’m planning on staying on the team for the rest of my time at Morgan”.

We only have a few more strictly girls’ matches left but are excited to see how they go!

MGG after their first away match