Environment: Climate Change

Written by Calvin Jackson and Daniel Radka|
Images by Daniel Radka|

It is a fact that the Earth’s average temperature has been rising gradually over the past 50 years. The term to describe this upward progression is global warming. While it is difficult to dispute facts, many do, saying that global warming and climate change do not exist.

PTrump climate change tweetresident Donald Trump famously tweeted that “the concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.” Although this was tweeted over 4 years ago, Donald Trump now serves as the United States standing president and his default position has been stated that he believes climate change “is a bunch of bunk.”

Every person is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, but scientific facts prove that the situation of earth’s climate changing is a reality. NASA provides evidence that shows that our planet’s average temperature has risen 1.7 degrees Fahrenheit over the past 100 years. The understanding that Donald Trump, a world leader, disputes scientific fact is mind-boggling to many people.

Morgan students and staff tend to agree with NASA. Sophomore and member of the Environmental Club Kitty Short stated that “climate change is an extremely relevant issue and people should join the Environmental Club to help raise awareness.” The environmental club raises awareness about many environmental issues, such as assisting the school in its recycling program.

Sophomore Rachel Flanagan stated, “Climate Change is easily one of the biggest threats to our society, if not the biggest. If we ignore the environment, we are ignoring the future.” Sophomore Caleb Adams-Hull said, “It [Climate Change] is a legitimate threat to our society that requires serious intervention.”

Whether or not you believe in it, climate change is a real issue that will impact the lives of everyone in the future. Anyone can work to improve the environment around them. Some helpful tips include:

• Be conscious of the effects that your transportation has on the environment
    • Students who drive to school should consider taking the bus to reduce their carbon emissions
  • Use reusable plastic or glass water bottles rather than disposable ones
    • Morgan has several water bottle fill stations
    • Make sure your glass water bottle does not break
  • Cut down on your water usage
    • Take faster showers
    • Fix water leaks in faucets and sinks
  • Recycle recycle recycle

Other helpful tips and tricks on how to be more eco-friendly can be found on an abundance of websites all over the internet. Check out some of these pages and help to preserve the earth for future generations.