The Last Hurrah

Written by Lindsay Harden |
Photos by Natalie Buchetto |

With the winter sports season coming to an end, senior night is just another one of the “lasts” the seniors will experience. Thursday, February 23, was the senior night for Boys Basketball, and it is also the last time they will suit up as a Husky. The game was against North Branford, and unfortunately, the Huskies could not pull another home W. The final score was 44-56. However, the dog pound was there as always showing its spirit and filling the gym with cheers and chants.

There are five seniors on the team this year. They have been working hard to pick up where the Huskies left off last year with their starting five being all seniors who have graduated. They have had a rough season, but the wins that they have pulled through have been ones to remember. Senior John Veneri said, “The game itself felt very different knowing that it was definitely my last game in high school… I wish we played the 1st half like we did the second because I feel like we would’ve definitely won.”

Senior Captain Jake Anselmo was excited about his senior night and says of his team, “They are a good group of guys I’ve been playing with for a while”.  Senior John Urban said, “It was a pretty fun night. The gym was pretty packed so it was a fun environment.” In terms of his feelings about the season and the night itself, he said, “Emotions were going through probably every senior” He had a really fun season playing with his teammates, and he will “never forget it.” BB2017

Not all the huskies are veterans to the team. Two of the seniors this year are first-year players, but still enjoyed their time with the team. Senior Steven Hansen, is a first-year player but has gotten a lot out of the one season that he has been able to play in. “I had a great time this year… I learned a lot from these kids not only on the court but off the court especially from Coach Beamen too.” His advice to anyone else thinking about joining the team: “I really recommend anybody, even if you haven’t played in previous years to play”.

His advice to anyone else thinking about joining the team: “I really recommend anybody, even if you haven’t played in previous years to play”. Senior Dominick Reynolds is  a first-year student at Morgan. He transferred here from Xavier High School in Middletown. Dom said it was, “A memorable night. It was nice to get a lot of support from the student section game in and game out even though we had our losing record.” In terms of the actual game play he says, “We dug ourselves in a bit of a hole like usual… but in the fourth quarter the seniors playing knew this was gonna be their last eight minutes that they’ll ever play in high school basketball.”

Congrats to all of the seniors and the rest of the team on their season!